Guide: How to get your importers code

system32

Expert Member
Thanks @mybb for the excellent article.

After this, he had to upload supporting documentation, such as verification of his cell number and address
He uploaded a cellphone contract statement

Anyone know how to verify a Pre-Paid SIM/Cell Number for SARS?

jambai

Expert Member
And how will sars enforce it if you import more than 3 times a year ?

Jola

Honorary Master
I ordered something yesterday on Amazon, and it asked me for my Importer Code.

A few weeks ago it only asked for my ID.

chrisc

Executive Member
It is free
Got mine in 2009 and use it a lot
Private individuals are permitted 3 imports a year, thereafter you need an importers code
Its important to advise the shipper to write your importers code number on the shipping invoice that accompanies the parcel. This is then entered on the DA50
Most shippers comply
An electronics supply co in Denton, Ohio USA mostly leave it out. This omission can add anything from 2 days to 3 weeks delay and extra fees, especially if it is stopped for inspection

chrisc

Executive Member
And how will sars enforce it if you import more than 3 times a year ?

They will stop your shipment. Worst case it gets sent to the States Warehouse. SA Customs are not bound to tell you either, they are far too busy

Happened to a friend who imported some speaker components. The tracking stopped at DHL in Jhb. It took DHL 3 weeks to locate the parcel which was in the States Warehouse. This cost him an extra R1900 since there was demurrage, fees and a new clearance process. The States Warehouse is gigantic and disorganised, staffed by disinterested cadres

I always pre-clear my imports. This occurs 3 to 4 days before it arrives in Jhb and gives you warning if something is amiss with the documents

The shipper can mess up too. One simply forgot to insert the shipping invoice in the pouch on the box

Last edited:

Zen17h

So I followed the instructions and it looks like it just got approved - which code is the actual importer's code and what do I submit as proof of this (if it is ever needed)?

I can see three codes:
Product Code (starts with CU and numbers) - most likely since this is the code that is also shown at the top of the page
Reg/Lic No (starts with CUS and numbers)
FAN No (Just numbers)

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I ordered something yesterday on Amazon, and it asked me for my Importer Code.

A few weeks ago it only asked for my ID.
ID number suffices if you have ordered 3 times or less for the year and it is under R20k in total. Otherwise you need an importers code after that