Gym Ball

Cool Cold

Hey everyone

I was thinking about getting a gym ball this weekend mainly to use when sitting infront of the pc as I have heard its much better for your posture than slouching on a chair and while I have on I might as well use it for a couple of basic excersises.

So I went into the local Dischem only to find that there are different sizes :confused: 65cm 85cm etc? Whats the difference? Size obviously but I mean how will it affect me? Is it for people of different heights? If so, I am about 1.65m (not the tallest gut :D) so which one should I get?

And are dischem branded gym balls ok? They cost about R80 so I was just wandering. What other options are there?

Waaib

Executive Member
We had some people who know about this stuff at the office a few years ago. They left about 20 of those gym balls behind for us to use. All where the big ones so I don't think size counts in this case.

Bottom line is you cannot sit on them all day everyday. It's just plain irritating.

They did tell us that you can get a similar effect to that of the gym ball by sitting on the front 10cm's of your office chair instead of in the middle of the seat. Reasoning was that you need to sit up straight to prevent it tipping over so you engage your core muscles etc.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Rather get one of those weird computer chair thing without a back. Those where the angle looks all wrong. Forgot what they are called.

The gym ball doesn't strike me as a very good idea....but the size would have to be +- the height at which you normally sit.

Ænema

Hehehe, Thought it was a condition when I read the title, as in..."eina, I have gym ball"...sorry, but it's what I have come to expect from this forum...

Gym Ball(s): A chafing of the gonads brought on by performing strenuous exercise in a gymnasium.

slayerza

This thread reminds me of an episode of "The Office" where a ball-chair is punctured with a scissor. Anyway I would think that if you can manage 5-6h straight on such a ball your core would not need the exercise anyway - if not it will become really uncomfortable after a while.

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
we have a huge gym ball and my wife does excercise on the ball to try help with her back problem but i never thought about using it while siting infront of the pc, it sounds like a good idea.

Hosehead

Executive Member
You need to take the things down to the filling station to pump them with air so they're nice, firm and bouncy. You'll be parking them on top of a cupboard after the novelty wears off.
I wouldn't do this with Dischem branded stuff though...

TMoose

Expert Member
Yes, different sizes are for different heights. Check the box, it tells you which one to pick on there. The Dischem one is fine, mine hasn't exploded or spontaneously deflated on me yet.