Hello, and router issues

DevInPta

Hi all...

I'm a n00b here, and I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, so please admonish at will :)

It's not really a broadband issue, but most definitely a networking issue, and my setup is as follows:
  • a NetGear DG834GT DSL modem and Wi-Fi router
  • 2x Acer Travelmate laptops running XP Pro SP3 connecting through WiFi
  • 2x XP Pro SP3 desktop PCs, one connecting through a NetGear wireless USB dongle, the other direct to the router via Cat5
  • All machines are set to resolve IP addresses automatically from the router via DHCP, but each machine has a static IP assigned to it on the router

All machines work perfectly, except for the one connecting directly via Cat5. On reboot, it takes forever (well, it varies from between 10 minutes to up to an hour) for the router to recognise the machine hostname. On the attached devices on the router management page, it displays the correct IP and MAC address for the machine, but the host name is not resolved correctly - it displays "UNKNOWN". However, as soon as the machine is booted up, it can access the internet through the router no problem.

I've tried everything (including backup, format, reinstall), installing a new power supply (the old one was tired anyway and causing trouble), and fiddled around with DhcpNodeType settings in the registry, among others. And it's also not a virus or some other malware - I've run all the scans.

Can anyone suggest another angle of attack, or possibly a resolution, or even just moan about the same problem (I feel so alone right now)...?

That would be great, thanks

DevInPta

Sorted

Hmmm, I just figured out the problem, turns out it was my Lexmark printer/scanner/copier software, along with the "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)" service that was causing the trouble... uninstalled and set service to start on Manual, problem sorted!!!

Tx