Help Choosing An ISP

AsianSpaceman

Hey everyone!

So, i will be moving to an area that has fiber coverage, and I just need help choosing an ISP.

I know there's ISP discussion but I just thought I could get some feedback from you guys that have personal experience with the ISP's available to me.

So here's the list:

1. MWEB
  2. Techno Pulse Online
  3. Amobia
  4. RocketNet
  5. Afrihost
  6. Sonic Telecoms
  7. ISP Afrika
  8. RSA WEB
  9. eNetworks
  10. Vodacom
Now I am looking for uncapped, unshaped packages obviously lol.

Afrihost I am a bit reluctant about as even though I have gotten amazing service from them with my ADSL back in the day for years. when I moved to an area that only had LTE available they gave me pretty horrendous service. That being said, they're also the only company I am comfortable with as most of the other companies I haven't actually heard of. Cool Ideas was on my list too but I don't see them on my Fibre Providers webpage anymore.

So any and all help, discussion and experiences are welcome.

THANKS!

abudabi

Expert Member
Go make a cup of coffee (maybe 2) and take an hour to do your research in this forum. There isn't a silver bullet answer.. you will probably get 5 different answers from your list and 5 other ISPs not from your list.

Saying that, who is your fiber provider , what area are you in and what will you be doing with your fibre (just browsing, playing international games etc.) That way you can help people with suggestions.

AsianSpaceman

So my provider is Century City Connect. Main uses will be streaming Netflix, YouTube, theres a person that will need to do online learning, zoom meetings, and I'll be doing both local and international gaming.

Speaking with PBCool in pm right now, I was with cool ideas before but CCC does not show me them as an option, not sure why. But also, a tad bit not sure if going back is the right choice, tbh kind of just scared of them getting DDOS'd

Reactions: old

cavedog

Honorary Master
So my provider is Century City Connect. Main uses will be streaming Netflix, YouTube, theres a person that will need to do online learning, zoom meetings, and I'll be doing both local and international gaming.

Speaking with PBCool in pm right now, I was with cool ideas before but CCC does not show me them as an option, not sure why. But also, a tad bit not sure if going back is the right choice, tbh kind of just scared of them getting DDOS'd
Afrihost has very attractive deals on Century Connect.

Free installation, Free router, Free activation. We charge you R249 for the free router to be delivered and if you cancel within 6 months after activation there is a R999 cancellation fee and after 6 months no fee aplies.

You also have a friendly dog around the forum if you need help ;)

OCP

Expert Member
Afrihost has very attractive deals on Century Connect.

Free installation, Free router, Free activation. We charge you R249 for the free router to be delivered and if you cancel within 6 months after activation there is a R999 cancellation fee and after 6 months no fee aplies.

You also have a friendly dog around the forum if you need help ;)
I would avoid Afrihost even if they were the last remaining fibre ISP in the country.

Not going to support an unethical company.

r00igev@@r

Expert Member

The measure of an ISP isn't whether or not they have been DDOS'd but what they have it place as mitigations. So ask each one what they do to mitigate DDOS and whether it is automated. If they don't want to tell you then you can assume they don't have any protection.

AsianSpaceman

The measure of an ISP isn't whether or not they have been DDOS'd but what they have it place as mitigations. So ask each one what they do to mitigate DDOS and whether it is automated. If they don't want to tell you then you can assume they don't have any protection.
@PBCool could you maybe answer this of what CISP has in place now?

AsianSpaceman

Also, anyone reading, is there a list of some sorts of ISP's for people that are on century city connect? If so, link please. Else, do you think its okay for me to create a new thread for it?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
@PBCool could you maybe answer this of what CISP has in place now?
So usually it is not a great idea to advertise the mitigation techniques an ISP has in place, but basically we can do an amount of scrubbing ourselves in London (before crossing the pond).

If an attack then gets beyond that capacity (like it did in September last year) indicators show it was over 500Gbps, we have transit providers that can mitigate multiple terabits each of DDoS traffic at their edge nodes. It's relatively easy to figure that part out as it's public knowledge.

Your typical ISP strategy for DDoS mitigation which most larger providers use, is Arbors will follow the scrub up to a point then blackhole route. But they do this before it reaches the undersea cable capacity, usually in London or Amsterdam.

shauwn

So usually it is not a great idea to advertise the mitigation techniques an ISP has in place, but basically we can do an amount of scrubbing ourselves in London (before crossing the pond).

If an attack then gets beyond that capacity (like it did in September last year) indicators show it was over 500Gbps, we have transit providers that can mitigate multiple terabits each of DDoS traffic at their edge nodes. It's relatively easy to figure that part out as it's public knowledge.

Your typical ISP strategy for DDoS mitigation which most larger providers use, is Arbors will follow the scrub up to a point then blackhole route. But they do this before it reaches the undersea cable capacity, usually in London or Amsterdam.
Hi, well i took up the Telkom Uncapped 20mbs package for R699 PM and its pretty good from my experience. speedtest daily is actually 35mbs for upload which is pretty good.

also would like to say big ups to Vernon Stewart from Telkom who assisted me with relocating my account when i moved to a new complex. he is the best !!!!!

Reactions: old