Help me add hard drive or ssd to PC

lived666

Executive Member
Hi
TIA!!
Attached pic of the motherboard and available slots - what and where can I add either a SSD or HDD and what type and what cable would I need and where does it go?

pc1a.jpg

pc2a.jpg

pc3a.jpg

ponder

Honorary Master
What make and model motherboard?

Spare m.2 slot here, could be sata or nvme
pc1a.jpg

You should also have plenty spare sata ports on the mb, what's the extra storage for?

ponder

Honorary Master
Correct but word of warning - Pretty sure that would consume SATA ports... almost has to

That's why I want to know the make & model so one can check the specs. Might even use up pci lanes...

I can see it's some form of asus rog strict mb but that's it...

ponder

Honorary Master
games - flight sim alone over 120gb my current free space is only 80gb and I have nothing to delete

What size ssd do you currently have? If you need space for games I suggest another ssd and not a hard drive. Preferably 1TB in size.

ponder

Honorary Master
If you use the second m.2 slot the bandwidth of the pci slot your gpu is connected to will halve from x16 to x8 so I don't think you want to do that.

You have two options I reckon,
1. Buy a large nvme ssd and install it to the first slot where existing 250gb ssd is and sell the 250gb ssd
2. Buy a large sata ssd and connect it to one of the spare sata ports in the 5th image leaving your existing ssd in place as a boot drive with windows/office etc on it.