Help me choose hosting please

Synonym

Hi,

Im not sure whether to go for Hetzner or domains.co.za. Hetzner offers free ssl as opposed to domains which is r25 extra per month.

I will be hosting a blog but I would like to also branch out and get hosting for other unrelated sites.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Join

Hi,

Im not sure whether to go for Hetzner or domains.co.za. Hetzner offers free ssl as opposed to domains which is r25 extra per month.

I will be hosting a blog but I would like to also branch out and get hosting for other unrelated sites.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hetzner will be your best option, if you are looking to host a couple of sites, take the Reseller option that you can host multiple sites instead of paying for every single hosting package.

I have multiple domains with Hetzner, had no issues.

Synonym

That reseller option is too high for me at the moment its around r600. Im considering starting with the r99 option...it says 10 domains, does this mean I have 10 different websites hosted with them? That would be enough for me at the moment.

Im also considering gphosting

flbjhb

Many hosting companies can offer free SSL by using LetsEncrypt (as easy as clicking a button in the hosting control panel). EV certs are quite costly but for a blog a free LetsEncrypt cert should be good enough

One thing about Hetzner's R99 plan and 10 domains is that each subsequent domain only has 1 mailbox and the additional domains are hosted for your own personal use.

Last edited:

Synonym

Many hosting companies can offer free SSL by using LetsEncrypt (as easy as clicking a button in the hosting control panel). EV certs are quite costly but for a blog a free LetsEncrypt cert should be good enough

Why would domains.co.za charge an extra r25 per month if you can do this for free?

Join

That reseller option is too high for me at the moment its around r600. Im considering starting with the r99 option...it says 10 domains, does this mean I have 10 different websites hosted with them? That would be enough for me at the moment.

Im also considering gphosting

No, the 10 domains they refer is pointing to the same hosting package, so you cant use it for different websites. Only with the reseller option where each domain will have its own hosting package (disk space for website data)

Join

Why would domains.co.za charge an extra r25 per month if you can do this for free?

That will be the 1 million zim dollar question haha, by default all Cpanel servers has the option available for free.

Synonym

No, the 10 domains they refer is pointing to the same hosting package, so you cant use it for different websites. Only with the reseller option where each domain will have its own hosting package (disk space for website da

Can I have one main domain and use the resources for a few other blogs? i was talking to gphosting and they said this is possible with them

Nimz

Executive Member
Domains.co.za

Use cloudflare for a free SSL certificate

No issues

Join

Can I have one main domain and use the resources for a few other blogs? i was talking to gphosting and they said this is possible with them

Not quite, the hosting package is actually made for 1 active domain (1 hosting account), you can then addon 10 domains that will use the same hosting account a.k.a website.

If you want to start with reseller hosting, get a digitalocean account (can send you a link where you get $100 free to use for 3 months), setup the Cpanel server and hosting your websites on the free account (just need to have a CC with R15 to verify yourself to get the $100).

Or, register with Google Cloud and get $300 that you can use for 12 months, setup the Cpanel server there and your set for 12 months atleast.

PM me if you need assistance with the setup, its quick

static_sa

Expert Member
There is some misinformation in this thread.

Having the addon domains will indeed use the same hosting account, however this will create a sub directory within your public_html folder, allowing you to essentially run 10 different sites, within one hosting account.

Reactions: OCP

OCP

Expert Member
You can't go wrong with either.

I use and host with domains.co.za (reseller) as they are cheaper than Hetzner.

No complaints and support is professional/knowledgeable.