Help me undrrstand this 5G service.

MikeTosen

So we have 5G premium service that :

1.) Throttles VPN - hindering work from home.
2.) Throttles streaming.
3.) Throttles downloads.
4.) Throttles YouTube.
5.) Throttles torrents.
6.) Throttles VOIP.
7.) Latency to high to effectively play games.
8.) Is double NATed - so gaming is limited, and you cant use you home camera system

So it seams that the only things that is not throttled or severely hindered is general web surfing and speed test sites and apps.

Say you getting 250Mbps download, taking the above into account, what can you do, that would make use of the linespeed other than speedtests ?

So all in all great value for money right ?

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
So we have 5G premium service that :

1.) Throttles VPN - hindering work from home.
2.) Throttles streaming.
3.) Throttles downloads.
4.) Throttles YouTube.
5.) Throttles torrents.
6.) Throttles VOIP.
7.) Latency to high to effectively play games.
8.) Is double NATed - so gaming is limited, and you cant use you home camera system

So it seams that the only things that is not throttled or severely hindered is general web surfing and speed test sites and apps.

Say you getting 250Mbps download, taking the above into account, what can you do, that would make use of the linespeed other than speedtests ?

So all in all great value for money right ?

Most of what you mention here is actually not factually correct for the 5G premium service.

1. No they don't
2. No they don't
3. No they don't
4. No they don't
5. No they don't
6. No they don't. How do you even throttle voip it barely uses data anyways. This just sounds made up tbh.
7. Well if ~20-30ms for local and ~190ms for EU server are too high then well no one should play games because that is about the going averages for ADSL, LTE and Fibre depending on area.
8. Gaming is not limited even for game that does p2p hosting of lobbies you will just not ever be a host someone else will. The rest all works fine. In terms of CCTV yes that is true you can't access that remotely unfortunately.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Most of what you mention here is actually not factually correct for the 5G premium service.

1. No they don't
2. No they don't
3. No they don't
4. No they don't
5. No they don't
6. No they don't. How do you even throttle voip it barely uses data anyways. This just sounds made up tbh.
7. Well if ~20-30ms for local and ~190ms for EU server are too high then well no one should play games because that is about the going averages for ADSL, LTE and Fibre depending on area.
8. Gaming is not limited even for game that does p2p hosting of lobbies you will just not ever be a host someone else will. The rest all works fine. In terms of CCTV yes that is true you can't access that remotely unfortunately.

I thought I'd back up my response with some proof.

No VPN Speedtest
rain_direct.PNG

With NordVPN

rain_vpn.PNG

Ubuntu download local

rain_local_ubuntu.PNG

Ubuntu download random Denmark server

rain_dk_ubuntu.PNG

Rain 5G Premium random public torrent and usenet download.

rain_torrents.png

rain_usernet.png

Youtube 8K where my pc is the bottleneck not Rain 5G

youtube_8k.png

genetic

Honorary Master
I thought I'd back up my response with some proof.

No VPN Speedtest
View attachment 1023656

With NordVPN

View attachment 1023658

Ubuntu download local

View attachment 1023662

Ubuntu download random Denmark server

View attachment 1023664

Rain 5G Premium random public torrent and usenet download.

View attachment 1023666

View attachment 1023668

Youtube 8K where my pc is the bottleneck not Rain 5G

View attachment 1023670

Finally someone with actual facts and not hearsay.

MikeTosen

1. No they don't
2. No they don't
3. No they don't
4. No they don't
5. No they don't

Well, guess I'm imagining stuff.
Daily struggling with work from home over VPN.
Look at the treads that i have replied to or started, all the proof is there, even a WhatsApp from a network tech at rain telling me most VPN's is throttled.
Yes gaming to eu 190 is good enough, but throw in ping spikes every couple of seconds of between 600 and 1000 ms and all of a sudden it doen not look so rosy does it. As for double NATing, guess you don't own xbox 1, it does not like it so much.
As for streaming, certain times netflix is cool, peak hours can't even watch 720p, but speed test is way over 250 ?
Same thing with YouTube, strarts buffering, and still speedtest is good ?
Yes the voip thing I threw in here based on the tread here as i do not use voip myself, and only based that on a voip speed test that showed sub 5 Mbps.

But trust me nothing is made up.
Glad RAIN is a perfect fit for you, and you have no issues, guess I am not so lucky.

Hopefully if things works out, I can leave this forum for good.

mrlgm007

@MikeTosen log a call bud unless the 5g is to heavyly used in the evening you having some strange issues.

I know like on a Sunday afternoon and evening rain 4g is dead as a door nail not even 1mb up and down and 5g is slow down to 40mb down and up.

Other than having this service for more than 1 year it works well, yes can't see my cctv as well but vpn and vois I fine.

cavedog

Honorary Master
At least not everyone is drinking the rain koolaid ....

Biased article.

Rain 5G standard is capped at 30Mbps. All the VPN speedtest showed more than 30Mbps which means it's not throttled.

Rain 5G premium was tested with 1 VPN server from one provider. My test was done with VPN to 1 server and I got a much better result than mybroadband. What makes their tests true and mine not? I feel the fact that it's wireless and speeds vary has been taken as throttling.

Just use common sense and read the results and you will realise why I say this.

Last edited:

MikeTosen

Based article.

Rain 5G standard is capped at 30Mbps. All the VPN speedtest showed more than 30Mbps which means it's not throttled.

Rain 5G premium was tested with 1 VPN server from one provider. My test was done with VPN to 1 server and I got a much better result than mybroadband. What makes their tests true and mine not? I feel the fact that it's wireless and speeds vary has been taken as throttling.

Just use common sense and read the results and you will realise why I say this.
Point is they throttle some VPN's
And they admitted it.
I also use Nord, and locally its not throttled.
But my work VPN I get 5Mbps.
Colueges on Fiber to same VPN servers, get their line speed, most of them are on 100Mbps fiber and get close to that.
Wifes office VNP limited to 10 odd Mbps.
Also fact is that both YouTube and Netflix buffer during certain times, while speedtest shows full speed.

So just accept that your beloved RAIN is not perfect, and they doing some dodgy stuff behind the scenes, saving bandwidth where they can anf lying about it.

Strange how quiet @rain_mobile is about these threads. No official stance. They will nor confirm or deny it, and that is an awnser all in itself.

Same question to you, what makes what you seeing the truth and what I'm seeing BS ?

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
Point is they throttle some VPN's
And they admitted it.
I also use Nord, and locally its not throttled.
But my work VPN I get 5Mbps.
Colueges on Fiber to same VPN servers, get their line speed, most of them are on 100Mbps fiber and get close to that.
Wifes office VNP limited to 10 odd Mbps.
Also fact is that both YouTube and Netflix buffer during certain times, while speedtest shows full speed.

So just accept that your beloved RAIN is not perfect, and they doing some dodgy stuff behind the scenes, saving bandwidth where they can anf lying about it.

Strange how quiet @Rain is about these threads. No official stance. They will nor confirm or deny it, and that is an awnser all in itself.

Same question to you, what makes what you seeing the truth and what I'm seeing BS ?

First of all my boloved Rain is not really that I have a 200Mbps fibre line and I work for a big ISP so I don't actually love Rain 5G I just approve what they are trying to achieve. Uncapped for the lowest cost with the least amount of resources.

It's exactly my point. Who supersedes who. Also maybe Rain isn't throttling maybe their peering or parts of their networkis just not as good as it supposed to be.

All I'm really interested in is facts and so far everything is pointing to vpn not being throttled on 5G.

4G is a totally different ball game and I think they need to come clean why they are throttling it so badly and hiding it.

MikeTosen

All I'm really interested in is facts and so far everything is pointing to vpn not being throttled on 5G.

And according to me they are.
So lets agree to disagree.

I'll be moving on to fiber soon, so i can put this nightmare of an experience behind me.

cavedog

Honorary Master
And according to me they are.
So lets agree to disagree.

I'll be moving on to fiber soon, so i can put this nightmare of an experience behind me.

Hopefully Openserve? They are really well priced from the 1st of March and one of the most reliable.