Help with Linux install

gamer16

Executive Member
Who feels like helping me win at installing Linux on my machine tonight?

I can easily install it and boot up, the issue I run into that I have yet to solve is installing the GPU driver for my old GTX470, after installing any of the options the OS no longer boots. So what I need is someone to guide me through choosing the correct driver and then if it happens helping me fix the errors that occur.

oldhat

Expert Member
Which distro are you using? Which version? Which drivers did you try(Nouveau/ proprietary)? Single graphics card or sli?

If Linux installs and boots ok, why do you require additional drivers?

ekske1

Executive Member
Which distro are you using? Which version? Which drivers did you try(Nouveau/ proprietary)? Single graphics card or sli?

'cause vesa, well vga mode is good enough :unsure:

gamer16

Executive Member

I tried recently with the latest Ubuntu, mint & Manjaro, Tried both the drivers available in the standard drivers menu, and both the older and newer versions that were available, single GPU. And I need the driver so I can change the resolution, and enable 3D for gaming and whatnot.

oldhat

Expert Member
Usually just install and use. If it fails, it can be due to a conflict with open source drives which you can disable.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
Rather use the drivers from the Ubuntu repository.

Note the following from the Nvidia download page:
Note that many Linux distributions provide their own packages of the NVIDIA Linux Graphics Driver in the distribution's native package management format. This may interact better with the rest of your distribution's framework, and you may want to use this rather than NVIDIA's official package.

gamer16

Executive Member
I managed to get the drivers installed, what I did differently this time was disable nouveau. Everything works now apart from the resolutions available end at 1600x900. Even though it's not technically supported by my monitor it's happy that I run it at 1920x1440, so I'll have to figure out how to add custom resolutions.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
apt-cache search nvidia | more
sudo apt-get install nvidia-filename-version
reboot
To show all devices which need drivers, and which packages apply to them:
Code:
ubuntu-drivers devices
To install the recommended drivers for your devices:
Code:
sudo ubuntu-drivers install