Help with setting up website

Bluefinllama

Hey guys, I recently opened an Mweb uncapped hosting account (free for ASDL users), but I am kinda stuck and feel like a complete idiot.. I cannot access the FTP site directly to upload the files (not through the browser or through filezilla), I can however access the IP address and have uploaded the web files to the IP address through filezilla.. My question is, is this enough? How can I "install" the website? I have Webhosting (Unix) Uncapped and a 50 MB MySQL Database which I have no clue about using.. So will you nice people please assist this idiot with a step by step tutorial of what precicely I'm supposed to do to get this site right? I don't really have much of a clue about what is going on, I followed the instructions as far as I know when it comes to setting up an e-commerce site using http://www.oscommerce.com :O

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Give mweb a shout and ask for your FTP details, insert them into FileZilla and them you will see your root directory. You can then upload your copy of oscomerce by dragging it into FileZilla.... From there it's basic setup according to their site.

While your speaking to mweb find out if you have a cpanel, this will make your life much easier as you can use softaculous to install oscommerce which eliminates the need to FTP files.

Pm me if you need more help

Bluefinllama

I've "uploaded" the oscommerce files to the "IP address" of the ftp already, but for some reason I am unable to connect to the url of the ftp itself.. As in, I can log into the IP of the ftp and see all the files i've uploaded, but not the url at all..

And as far as I can tell, Mweb doesn't have a Cpanel.

Last edited:

D3x!

Banned
You need access to some sort of control panel, konsoleh, cpanel etc for u to create ur database, user and link the 2.

Weird that you cannot connect FTP, is your domain pointing at the correct ns?

Bluefinllama

Well, I've got access to the Mweb uncapped hosting control panel, which basically provides me with most of my hosting information like ftp details (address, username, pw etc), domain name, domain email, then a phpmyadmin which is for the mysql database etc, which I do not really understand and then lastly the mweb website selfbuild utility or whatever, which doesn't even open at all..
As I've stated, I can access my FTP through a provided IP and can upload files via filezilla through that, but it doesn't help me at all, I'm unable to install the interface or access my FTP url, and it gives me an error stating: "530 530 User cannot log in." when trying to log in through the url. My username and password is correct though.

D3x!

Banned
Well, I've got access to the Mweb uncapped hosting control panel, which basically provides me with most of my hosting information like ftp details (address, username, pw etc), domain name, domain email, then a phpmyadmin which is for the mysql database etc, which I do not really understand and then lastly the mweb website selfbuild utility or whatever, which doesn't even open at all..
As I've stated, I can access my FTP through a provided IP and can upload files via filezilla through that, but it doesn't help me at all, I'm unable to install the interface or access my FTP url, and it gives me an error stating: "530 530 User cannot log in." when trying to log in through the url. My username and password is correct though.

Dude call mweb support

froot

Honorary Master
The Mweb uncapped hosting panel is the shoddiest thing under the sun :)

I had a case with a client (yeah, wtf, using freebies) where their MySQL db was allocated to someone else.... dunno how the heck that happened. Took hours with MWeb to get it into their heads :D

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
how many hours have you wasted on this?
let's say 6 hours.
how much do you bill/earn per hour?
let's say R200.
that's R1200 conservatively.
you can get local cpanel based hosting which meets your requirements for less than R500 per year.
there should be some links in my sig.

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
Hey guys, I recently opened an Mweb uncapped hosting account (free for ASDL users), but I am kinda stuck and feel like a complete idiot.. I cannot access the FTP site directly to upload the files (not through the browser or through filezilla), I can however access the IP address and have uploaded the web files to the IP address through filezilla..
It sounds like your domain is either not setup properly (you'll need to contact Mweb support to sort this out) or the server address which they gave you isn't setup as it should be.

Do you have a domain already, or do you still need to register a domain?

My question is, is this enough? How can I "install" the website? I have Webhosting (Unix) Uncapped and a 50 MB MySQL Database which I have no clue about using.. So will you nice people please assist this idiot with a step by step tutorial of what precicely I'm supposed to do to get this site right? I don't really have much of a clue about what is going on, I followed the instructions as far as I know when it comes to setting up an e-commerce site using http://www.oscommerce.com :O
Generally, as soon as you upload your completed website to a server it will work. BUT, if you have a dynamic website, like OSCommerce, you would also need to setup a database, import the sample data and configure your website to connect to the database. In this case you'd need to read through the application's README / INSTALL file to see how to set it up. You'll find the necessary database connection settings from Mweb, either through their support channels or if they have a control panel, on the control panel.

hth

Bluefinllama

Thanx for all the replies.. Well, I sent Mweb a message at 12:30 this morning (last night) and finally my ftp seems to be working correctly now, but I'm afraid it seems that I might be doing something else wrong. I set the permissions for all the files on the ftp to 777 but it seems that it's not linked to the website or something, because its just not working correctly. According to the oscommerse installation guide, I've done everything correctly.. Maybe I should learn to read again then..

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
but I'm afraid it seems that I might be doing something else wrong.
IT might help if you're a bit more specific. How exactly is it not working?

I set the permissions for all the files on the ftp to 777 but it seems that it's not linked to the website or something, because its just not working correctly. According to the oscommerse installation guide, I've done everything correctly.. Maybe I should learn to read again then..

NEVER, EVER set everything to 777. Only ever set the files and folder which ABSOLUTELY need 777 to 777. Rather use 755 for folder and 644 for files. Chances are it's not working cause some of the folders have 777 perms. Does Mweb have some form of control panel like cPanel or Plesk? If so, look for an error_log somewhere, it'll shed some light on the matter.

Bluefinllama

Ok, update: It seems the problem is that the permissions were never changed. I am unable to change permissions through filezilla and with the lack of a cpanel, I have to mail mweb in order to change the permissions.

I at first tried to set the permission of the files that I required to be writable to 755, that didn't work, so I set them to 777, that didn't work and lastly I set everything to 777 because I was getting a bit irritated. The problem is that it was for some reason not possible, so like I previously stated, I now have to mail mweb :(

snugglez64

Ok, update: It seems the problem is that the permissions were never changed. I am unable to change permissions through filezilla and with the lack of a cpanel, I have to mail mweb in order to change the permissions.

I at first tried to set the permission of the files that I required to be writable to 755, that didn't work, so I set them to 777, that didn't work and lastly I set everything to 777 because I was getting a bit irritated. The problem is that it was for some reason not possible, so like I previously stated, I now have to mail mweb :(

I would recommend moving to another hosting service.

Honestly, you don't really need 'uncapped' hosting for a small site & no cpanel !

Sounds like more trouble than what it's worth.

CPanel = Login, couple of clicks later, oscommerce installed, ready to be configured.

rward

NEVER, EVER set everything to 777. Only ever set the files and folder which ABSOLUTELY need 777 to 777. Rather use 755 for folder and 644 for files.

and if you have to set stuff to 777 to make it work then the problems not on your side, it's with a badly setup host..

Bluefinllama

Haha, I feel like such an idiot now.. Seems like it's mostly working now, got everything sorted out etc. The reason why I went with this uncapped hosting service is quite simply: it's free, free domain registration etc. Need to change the layout now, make it more personalised and start populating the site I guess.