Hetzner Online Server Auctions

JJRM

Hi guys,

What are your thoughts on the Hetzner server auctions? - https://robot.your-server.de/order/market/country/GB

I've managed a VPS before but never really used it for anything specific. I'm looking at using the server for mainly storage purposes but may also use it for hosting some web apps, dbs, etc. The pricing looks quite decent and I don't mind having the server out of the country. I don't necessarily need to have a dedicated server but what you get for what you pay is quite impressive I think.

Can you please share your experiences? Value for money? Performance?

envo

Expert Member
For those prices I'd consider a cloud solution that's scalable to my needs. The one I'm using (my sig) is quite cheap in comparison with auto-failover and unlimited bandwidth. If you want to go for the VPS option you can, because that includes auto backups, but you can have that option for a few $ more on the cloud instance. On the cloud instance you're also not subject to increase in disk/CPU when all you want is more RAM. Everything is on SSD's so the IO is insane. Compared to Linode and DigitalOcean they blow them out the water

jem

Hi guys,

What are your thoughts on the Hetzner server auctions? - https://robot.your-server.de/order/market/country/GB

I've managed a VPS before but never really used it for anything specific. I'm looking at using the server for mainly storage purposes but may also use it for hosting some web apps, dbs, etc. The pricing looks quite decent and I don't mind having the server out of the country. I don't necessarily need to have a dedicated server but what you get for what you pay is quite impressive I think.

Can you please share your experiences? Value for money? Performance?

Been using hetzner.de for about 10 years now, never had downtime yet, service is really good if somewhat interesting sometimes... it's german and english in email comms usually.

The auction items are (afaik) essentially the custom servers not the normal off the shelf ones and the owners have upgraded / retired.

Value for money is better than almost anywhere i've seen with proper multiple backbones and good (reliable!) speeds not just burst speeds.

Edit: for just storage tho, there are probably better options!

JJRM

Been using hetzner.de for about 10 years now, never had downtime yet, service is really good if somewhat interesting sometimes... it's german and english in email comms usually.

The auction items are (afaik) essentially the custom servers not the normal off the shelf ones and the owners have upgraded / retired.

Value for money is better than almost anywhere i've seen with proper multiple backbones and good (reliable!) speeds not just burst speeds.

Edit: for just storage tho, there are probably better options!

What better options? (For just storage)

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Regarding the server auctions. They are great as backup servers, dev servers or disposable servers. I just would not use them for anything critical. They have very low levels of support and limitations on things like IPs. I have a couple of them and they run well. No issues.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Amazon S3 or Amazon Glacier or Azure Object Storage.

Amazon glacier is not really an option for most people. Its very very very slow. So if you dont mind waiting a day for your backups then its fine.

gkm

Expert Member
Amazon glacier is not really an option for most people. Its very very very slow. So if you dont mind waiting a day for your backups then its fine.

Yes, I think Glacier is more for storing the backups of your backups.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
S3 is good, although not as fast as I was hoping.

Tested from my Hetnzer server and the max upload speed I got was around 7MB/sec. That's to the Frankfurt region, I'm going to test a few others but I was thinking that would probably be the best route.

JJRM

Bear with me for my ignorance. As I said before, I've managed a VPS but not a dedicated server.
How is faulty/defective hardware dealt with? Am I responsible for any costs related to hardware going faulty or needing to be replaced?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
I just created a basic diagram of the setup we're running on our Hetzner box (for internal reasons).

Thought I'd share it here incase anyone is interested in doing something similar. This is an extremely cost effective way of running multiple services and hosts on a single machine using a single public IP. Proxmox also makes backups super simple, hence the reason I went for Proxmox VE.

Screenshot%202015-04-24%2014.58.37.png

shauntir

I just created a basic diagram of the setup we're running on our Hetzner box (for internal reasons).

Thought I'd share it here incase anyone is interested in doing something similar. This is an extremely cost effective way of running multiple services and hosts on a single machine using a single public IP. Proxmox also makes backups super simple, hence the reason I went for Proxmox VE.

Screenshot%202015-04-24%2014.58.37.png

Thanks! Not much of a networking guy so it is nice to see diagrams like this to make it easier to digest.