Highbury Park Kuilsriver WISP and ISP options

jackb

Hi All,

So I am moving this friday to highbury park in Kuilsriver, I used to lease an apartment in Buh Rein Estate where Amobia was providing a 10Mb/s fiber service for R602. Now that I am moving I am looking for internet. I see that there is a possibility of a 4mb/s Uncapped VDSL line but this is insufficient. Amobia said that they have LOS and can do the install for a cost of R2500(this is waaaaaay too much) and the price would increase to R1110 this is almost double the cost per month.

Now I am left with the question who or where to go? @TelkomZA wants a R700 deposit for installation of a 4MB/s line and its only refundable when I cancel my adsl. this does not seem right that they get to keep my money and it does not gain any interest.

Who and what do we do in Highbury? where is all the WISPs? I have my own equipment both Mikrotik and UBNT so don't need theirs.

Please can someone help? Im moving in over the weekend and this is driving me nuts.

simm_card

Expert Member
I used Sonic Wireless in the past, before ADSL. My neighbour used Snowball Wireless. I'm not sure if they still operate.

Our connection from the Nooiensfontein Exchange has been stolen over the weekend and the technician does not think it will be replaced.

I'll have to look at a Wisp as well or get LTE asap.

Is Highbury Park the new homes going up across the Engen Garage?

jackb

No Highbury Park is on the northern side of the engene the older homes about 13 years. not the brand new ones. where is the exchange located? Else I will be forced to make a connection to my buddies 100mb/s fiber about 2KM away over some wireless equipment.

jackb

So as an update. Highbury Park is getting 1Gbs fiber to every residents door. This is Great news the build is almost completed. I walked door to door getting signatures and started this about 2 years ago when I moved in here. Ive started a FB group devoted to getting the area in good standing and whatsapp group as well. Nice one to everyone who helped and finally we will have FIBER

KopiteZA

So as an update. Highbury Park is getting 1Gbs fiber to every residents door. This is Great news the build is almost completed. I walked door to door getting signatures and started this about 2 years ago when I moved in here. Ive started a FB group devoted to getting the area in good standing and whatsapp group as well. Nice one to everyone who helped and finally we will have FIBER
Bru why didn't you just keep walking all the way to Malibu Village for signatures?
We've been crying out for decent internet over here, there's no ADSL no fibre, nothing here! Vuma Reach was here beginning of the year and most people signed on but they abruptly just dropped everything and cancelled their planned fibre layout for the area. But well done on getting your area sorted and I hope everything goes smoothly for you guys!

jackb

Bru why didn't you just keep walking all the way to Malibu Village for signatures?
We've been crying out for decent internet over here, there's no ADSL no fibre, nothing here! Vuma Reach was here beginning of the year and most people signed on but they abruptly just dropped everything and cancelled their planned fibre layout for the area. But well done on getting your area sorted and I hope everything goes smoothly for you guys!
So the reason your area stopped the fiber roll out was gangsterism. Vumatel employees was threatened and their tools stolen gangsters wanted money to allow them to work there... Thats why it was stopped. I am in contact with the guy who overseas all the installation and assisted ourn area and he is also in control for the malibu area. So I know why unless your area stands together against the gangsterism they wont come back

KopiteZA

So the reason your area stopped the fiber roll out was gangsterism. Vumatel employees was threatened and their tools stolen gangsters wanted money to allow them to work there... Thats why it was stopped. I am in contact with the guy who overseas all the installation and assisted ourn area and he is also in control for the malibu area. So I know why unless your area stands together against the gangsterism they wont come back
Well thanks for the insight but to be quite frank with you, the excuse of gangsterism and extortion is just plain bollocks if you ask me. We have almost no issues with gangsterism on this side, it's common for these kinds of areas to have the odd gang or two but I can assure you it's nowhere as bad as what your contact is making it out to be. I promise you this, Eerste River is far more of a gang hotspot than Bluedowns but they had no problem doing their fibre rollout over there. Hell, even Melton Rose, Kleinvlei area which is a notoriously gang infested area is part of their planned rollout. Yes, the same Kleinvlei which has one of the highest crime rates in the whole of South Africa, is getting fibre but Vumatel wont do Malibu Village. What a joke.
I apologise if I come off as a bit frustrated but this was the last thing I wanted to hear, I honestly cannot comprehend how they're willing to do all areas around us, but not Malibu because some gang was intimidating them. They could've atleast communicated with us about this problem, it's not like they dont have our phone numbers and email addresses. Eish man I dont know anymore..
Edit: Article showing Kleinvlei as one of SA's crime hotspots https://businesstech.co.za/news/lif...-crime-in-every-province-in-south-africa/amp/

Last edited: