Home Automation - Smartkit

For those that did connect their garage door or gate motor (all centurion kit) with a tamotazied sonoff SV.

Did you follow the instructions as listed by Dr zzs video?

Another few questions I have is regarding the reed switch.

1) what type of reed switch must I buy

2) do I need a NC or NO reed switch

3) instead of a reed switch, can I Justin use a normal door/window magnetic contact to do the same - seems it's like a reed switch and it's easier for me to possibly use that rather.

Thx
 
For those that did connect their garage door or gate motor (all centurion kit) with a tamotazied sonoff SV.

Did you follow the instructions as listed by Dr zzs video?

Another few questions I have is regarding the reed switch.

1) what type of reed switch must I buy

2) do I need a NC or NO reed switch

3) instead of a reed switch, can I Justin use a normal door/window magnetic contact to do the same - seems it's like a reed switch and it's easier for me to possibly use that rather.

Thx

I purchased these: http://www.communica.co.za/Catalog/Details/P0950673459

Main reason is that my gate is outside in the sun and elements and I wanted something to take a bit of hammering. Furthermore since your gate doesn't always close with the exact same precision, I wanted something that had a bit of a tolerance. Hence the wide gap - it senses the gate is closed when the two sides of the switch is within 3 - 4 cm of one another.

I got normally/closed switches, meaning when the gate is closed the switch makes contact. But you can swop them around in Tasmota or Home Assistant!

For my garage I actually used the Xioami door sensors since that's "indoors".
 
I purchased these: http://www.communica.co.za/Catalog/Details/P0950673459

Main reason is that my gate is outside in the sun and elements and I wanted something to take a bit of hammering. Furthermore since your gate doesn't always close with the exact same precision, I wanted something that had a bit of a tolerance. Hence the wide gap - it senses the gate is closed when the two sides of the switch is within 3 - 4 cm of one another.

I got normally/closed switches, meaning when the gate is closed the switch makes contact. But you can swop them around in Tasmota or Home Assistant!

For my garage I actually used the Xioami door sensors since that's "indoors".

Thanks :)
 
So I am amped up and ready to connect my sonoff SV to the gate motor. Got the reed switch and planned everything. Put the gate key into lock , barely turned the key without any pressure and it snapped off like it was made out of soft putty. FML. The best part, I put q20 in the lock every 6 months and the lock barrel is covered by insulation tape to prevent water ingress. All for nought.

How the heck am I gonna solve this. I don't want to buy a new gate lock as it appears to be impossible to get to the shank (I think it's called that).

Ideas on a post card :) IMG_20181218_184158.jpeg
 
So I am amped up and ready to connect my sonoff SV to the gate motor. Got the reed switch and planned everything. Put the gate key into lock , barely turned the key without any pressure and it snapped off like it was made out of soft putty. FML. The best part, I put q20 in the lock every 6 months and the lock barrel is covered by insulation tape to prevent water ingress. All for nought.

How the heck am I gonna solve this. I don't want to buy a new gate lock as it appears to be impossible to get to the shank (I think it's called that).

Ideas on a post card :) View attachment 594334

See if you can get the key part out. Then you can usually take it to a locksmith to make you a new one.

A tap on the back might get it out, or some thin pliers. Or a piece of prestik.
 
You already have the key in the lock, drill at a 45 degree angle sort of extending the slot about 3mm deep and then use a flat screwdriver to turn it.


Lock.PNG
 
Solved the lock issue. Youtube provided a good answer.. all I did was push the broken key futher in with the part that I still had and then turned .. I can't believe it worked. Btw, locks - look like they very easy to break. The two spanner method is frightening.:)

Would appreciate help on the HA/MQTT configuration.

I connected my Sonoff SV and I see it coming up on the Wifi. The Dr ZZs video shows the code that one needs to put in configuration.yaml into HA, etc - but when I enter it, config check complains.

Besides the Mqtt/wifi settings, this is what i used for the SV configuration:
Hostname: SONOFF_FrontGate
Mqttclient: SONOFF_FrontGate
Topic: SONOFF_FrontGate
FriendlyName1: Front-Gate

Code:
in configuration.yaml
cover:
 - platform: mqtt
    name: "SONOFF_FrontGate"
    state_topic: "cmnd/gatestate/POWER2"  <<< I used gatestate as that was defined in the console ?
    command_topic: "cmnd/sonoffsv01/POWER"  <<< what does sonoffsv01 refer too
    payload_open: "ON"
    payload_close: "ON"
    payload_stop: "ON"
    state_open: "ON"
    state_closed: "OFF"
    optimistic: false

I put the following in Tasmota console
PulseTime1 1
Switchretain 1
Powerretain 1
switchtopic2 gatestate <He has garagestate so i renamed to gatestate
switchmode1 0
switchmode2 2

Can someone post their config for a SONOFF SV across all the files i.e. configuration.yaml, customize.yaml, groups.yaml so I can use as a reference? Thank you.
 
gatestate/sonoffsv01 relate to the name of the switch you gave it. If you look in the switch's config you'll see the mqtt topic names in there.
 
gatestate/sonoffsv01 relate to the name of the switch you gave it. If you look in the switch's config you'll see the mqtt topic names in there.

So what he means is you name it wrong and sonoffsv01 should be SONOFF_FrontGate or whatever.

FYI stick to using small letters throughout and make your life simpler.

You can also just call it frontgate. If there is only one device of a kind no need to put Sonoff in there.

The state part also only applies if you have the reed switch in the mix.
 
View attachment 591018

At least I now have confirmation that my spikes are the geyser :D Going to let it run for a week to get usage stats, then try various automation to get it down.

For me , having an efergy for two years now, I learnt that powering geysers for 1h30 daily is enough. when I left them to run 24/7 in our usual use case over a period of weeks for testing the theories, electricity usage jumped between 3-6kw daily.

Sadly , still haven’t connected the sonoff pow R2s to the geyser, maybe this weekend once I understand how to get the Tasmota sonoffs into HA.

Another question : pow r2 can handle 16 amps easily so can handle my 2kw geyser but not my 4kw geyser. I just thought today that it may actually just be easier to replace the 4kw element in my big geyser with a 2kw element so I can use pow r2 to manage it instead of finding solutions like slave relays etc,

Yes, it means I need to leave it on longer - say 3 hours instead of the usual 90 minutes. Is this a good idea and is it possible? Need to check what geyser I have to be sure I can get a compatible element ...
 
Can someone post their config for a SONOFF SV across all the files i.e. configuration.yaml, customize.yaml, groups.yaml so I can use as a reference? Thank you.

Config checks that fail are almost ALWAYS Yaml formatting and indentation issues. What is the error?

This:
Code:
command_topic: "cmnd/sonoffsv01/POWER"  <<< what does sonoffsv01 refer too
means the name of the MQTT topic that you gave it in the Tasmota config.

In other words, here:

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 12.52.24.png

I can share mine, but be aware I'm using one Sonoff SV purely for opening / closing of the gate and then another Sonoff Basic connected to a light but also with an additional reed switch for detecting whether the gate is open or not. And I don't have it set up as a cover.
 
Is anybody here using the ezviz NVR (X5C)?

My father in law is using it with a number of Husky Airs. The Husky's are connected to the NVR's built in Wifi. However, the whole thing makes his normal wifi very unstable:
1) Seems to limit number of the devices on the network to around 5 -- meaning many times a new device can't join (says the password is incorrect whereas it definitely is not)
2) Severely limits the range of his normal wifi network
3) Makes it much slower -- to such an extend that if he wants to stream DSTV to his SmartTV he has to switch off the NVR first.

At the same time, the Husky's image quality is extremely low quality -- it really doesn't look good.

I had a look at the NVR and it is set to channel 13, while the normal wifi router is set to channel 1.

The main question is: do I need to use the NVR's built-in wifi at all? Can you connect the cameras to the NVR through the normal router's wifi? Looking on his router it does seem as if the NVR just bridges the built-in wifi with the rest of the network, and that the cameras actually get the IP addresses from the router and not the camera.

But nowhere in any documentation or in the on-screen help is this mentioned.

I must say, the NVR and the ezviz cameras really do not have a lot of documentation and it relatively frustrating to work with!
 
Config checks that fail are almost ALWAYS Yaml formatting and indentation issues. What is the error?

This:
Code:
command_topic: "cmnd/sonoffsv01/POWER" code] means the name of the MQTT topic that you gave it in the Tasmota config. 

In other words, here:

[ATTACH=full]594670[/ATTACH]

I can share mine, but be aware I'm using one Sonoff SV purely for opening / closing of the gate and then another Sonoff Basic connected to a light but also with an additional reed switch for detecting whether the gate is open or not. And I don't have it set up as a cover.[/QUOTE]Thanks that could help. Will let you all know how I get on
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X