Home Automation - Smartkit

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Err.. all of that you can do in HA
In the GUI? In a single automation? Or using a script you wrote in the backend?

My experience with HA has always been that it's a single sequence that runs and finishes (except for time delays of course) with pre-defined parameters and then it's done.

It can't really cope "dynamically".

But I'm no developer.

With my garage and gate specifically I could never find any way to say "if condition = X do Y, if condition = Z do A". It's always just a one way thing as the conditions and actions and triggers are all separated.

It's a 1:1 ratio of condition to actions, you can't have the condition determine which action is going to be taken.

Tinuva

The Magician
Does nothing for me.

root@UnRAID:~# ping home-assistant
ping: unknown host home-assistant
It works inside containers to other containers. So far example HA container writing to influxdb container. It should connect to the container name. For the unraid server you have to connect to localhost:exposed_port of container. For other servers on the network, connect to unraidserver:exposed_port.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
In the GUI? In a single automation? Or using a script you wrote in the backend?

My experience with HA has always been that it's a single sequence that runs and finishes (except for time delays of course) with pre-defined parameters and then it's done.

It can't really cope "dynamically".

But I'm no developer.

With my garage and gate specifically I could never find any way to say "if condition = X do Y, if condition = Z do A". It's always just a one way thing as the conditions and actions and triggers are all separated.

It's a 1:1 ratio of condition to actions, you can't have the condition determine which action is going to be taken.
In code (YAML) - you can have multiple triggers, conditions (also nested AND/OR) or actions - you can also have dynamic properties.

e.g my pool can run one a manual timer, a maintenance schedule, or based on weather, each have their own dynamic properties.

I created a template binary sensor which is set based on the above rule variations, when its set to true, the pool pump runs, when its set to false, the pool pump stops.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
It works inside containers to other containers. So far example HA container writing to influxdb container. It should connect to the container name. For the unraid server you have to connect to localhost:exposed_port of container. For other servers on the network, connect to unraidserver:exposed_port.
Tried inside container too but no joy.

I would imagine it only works on containers on the same bridge? Some of my stuff runs on the Host so that might be why.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
In code (YAML) - you can have multiple triggers, conditions (also nested AND/OR) or actions - you can also have dynamic properties.

e.g my pool can run one a manual timer, a maintenance schedule, or based on weather, each have their own dynamic properties.

I created a template binary sensor which is set based on the above rule variations, when its set to true, the pool pump runs, when its set to false, the pool pump stops.
Yeah I suspected you were referring to at the code level.

I was more strictly referring to the GUI which doesn't support any of that.

So in regard to using a GUI to make the magic happen Node Red is still king.

Tinuva

The Magician
Tried inside container too but no joy.

I would imagine it only works on containers on the same bridge? Some of my stuff runs on the Host so that might be why.
Ah yes that would explain it. But only a single container would be able to run on the host. That specific container can then connect to localhost:exposed_port to keep routing as simple as possible.

mtlost

Yeah I suspected you were referring to at the code level.

I was more strictly referring to the GUI which doesn't support any of that.

So in regard to using a GUI to make the magic happen Node Red is still king.
You made a good point. I never got to the point where I needed to check multiple conditions and in that instance (if your not a developer), Node RED is way easier.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Ah yes that would explain it. But only a single container would be able to run on the host. That specific container can then connect to localhost:exposed_port to keep routing as simple as possible.
I run a few on Host.

I'm guessing you mean per single port.

Anyway I see now reason to use DNS over IP's to just complicate things. My environment is small and static.

Tinuva

The Magician
I run a few on Host.

I'm guessing you mean per single port.

Anyway I see now reason to use DNS over IP's to just complicate things. My environment is small and static.
Yeah whatever works best for you at the end of the day

xrapidx

Honorary Master
How do you get the big icons top left for the garage etc?

I think you guys should post code, not just pictures. :)

Also, AdGuard? Is that in a Docker or something? I only know it as an iPhone plugin.
Entity Button - think you can do it from the front end.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
How do you fit multiple together inside the smaller space though?

And how do you make it show the state?
Stacks (vertical or horizontal)
Here's the code from my Alarm in my first screenshot, you'll see it uses a vertical stack - and a nested horizontal stack:
Code:
cards:
  - cards:
      - entity: switch.full_arm
        hold_action:
          action: more-info
        icon: 'mdi:run'
        show_icon: true
        show_name: true
        tap_action:
          action: toggle
        type: entity-button
      - entity: switch.stay_arm
        hold_action:
        icon: 'mdi:home'
        tap_action:
      - entity: switch.sleep_arm
        hold_action:
        icon: 'mdi:sleep'
        tap_action:
    type: horizontal-stack
  - entities:
      - sensor.friendly_alarm_state
      - group.door_window_sensors
      - group.indoor_pir_sensors
      - group.outdoor_motion_sensors
      - sensor.alarm_open_zones
    show_header_toggle: false
    title: Security Overview
    type: entities
type: vertical-stack

Slip

How do you get the big icons top left for the garage etc?

I think you guys should post code, not just pictures. :)

Also, AdGuard? Is that in a Docker or something? I only know it as an iPhone plugin.

I use the button card which allows you to show state, set icon colours etc. https://github.com/custom-cards/button-card. There are three cards that are stacked horizontally. Excerpt below shows the first button.

YAML:
      - type: horizontal-stack
        cards:
          - entity: sensor.people_home
            icon: mdi:home
            show_state: false
            styles:
              card:
                - height: 110px
                - font-size: 14px
              label:
                - color: rgb(82,148,226)
                - font-size: 14px
            tap_action:
            show_last_changed: true
            show_label: true
            state:
              - value: 'True'
                color: rgb(5, 147, 255)
                name: Occupied
              - value: 'False'
                name: Not occupied
                color: auto
            type: "custom:button-card"
AdGuard is just a hassio Addon running in a docker container. https://github.com/hassio-addons/addon-adguard-home.

Wow this is awesome. Tell me more! Is this all custom built?

Flippen epic.
It's built using Home Assistant. I built my lovelace config using yaml but you could probably do it through the UI as well.

How do you fit multiple together inside the smaller space though?

And how do you make it show the state?
Have a look at the horizontal and vertical stack card for the layout. See the custom button card options to show state.

calypso

Expert Member
Care to share more? I.e. what cameras etc. you are running, and how live it is?

I'm seriously interested in doing something similar.
Sure, Im just using cheap potato Reolink cameras which i bought on Amazon. The software will work on any camera that supports an RTSP feed. I would start with Deepstack, it doesn't require a Corol and is pretty each for most to get going. Also supports facial recognition but I could never get that working.

ebendl

Expert Member
Sure, Im just using cheap potato Reolink cameras which i bought on Amazon. The software will work on any camera that supports an RTSP feed. I would start with Deepstack, it doesn't require a Corol and is pretty each for most to get going. Also supports facial recognition but I could never get that working.
Meaning a custom implementation with DeepStack? Or are you using other camera management software in conjunction with Deepstack (such as Blue Iris)