Home Automation - Smartkit

How is the synology leaking compared to unraid? Like what specifically is missing. I can do everything on it that I used to do on my Linux fileserver. I did have to find the synology os way in some minor cases only.

It can’t run VM’s as I recall for one.

But more specifically it’s actually lacking in it’s primary function which is redundant NAS storage. It’s very limited there with not much in the way of options to make it as brain dead consumer friendly as possible.

You also don’t get direct access to the terminal? Or has that changed?

Ultimately it’s a built for purpose thing that doesn’t have as much customisation scope.
 
Synology can run VM's, but you are rquired to use the BTRFS file system, and it still seems very limited compared to running a VM on Unraid.

So it won't do any of hte fancy passthrough stuff etc then I'm sure.

It was nice enough as a consumer device, but not something I would ever opt to use.
 
So it won't do any of hte fancy passthrough stuff etc then I'm sure.

It was nice enough as a consumer device, but not something I would ever opt to use.

Right. I am using it for HassIO since I don't need passthrough (all my devices connect via wifi) and anyway, I am using Docker, not a VM, and the system isn't doing much else besides file storage, so why not? But as soon as I need to do something more complicated, I'll probably move to a Pi 4 with an SSD.
 
It can’t run VM’s as I recall for one.

But more specifically it’s actually lacking in it’s primary function which is redundant NAS storage. It’s very limited there with not much in the way of options to make it as brain dead consumer friendly as possible.

You also don’t get direct access to the terminal? Or has that changed?

Ultimately it’s a built for purpose thing that doesn’t have as much customisation scope.
what do you mean?

747149

Ive always had that access. You can literally do anything on a Synology that you can do on a regular Linux OS.

I see the VM part was answered, but I don't really use it, have no need for VMs since I do everything in docker.
That said, if the gui is limited, generally you can do it yourself through the terminal. Most of this is hidden away from users, but I find an advanced user like me can still get around to do everything I want on it.

So thats why I am surprised at your comments, looks like you just didn't dig deep enough.
 
what do you mean?

View attachment 747149

Ive always had that access. You can literally do anything on a Synology that you can do on a regular Linux OS.

I see the VM part was answered, but I don't really use it, have no need for VMs since I do everything in docker.
That said, if the gui is limited, generally you can do it yourself through the terminal. Most of this is hidden away from users, but I find an advanced user like me can still get around to do everything I want on it.

So thats why I am surprised at your comments, looks like you just didn't dig deep enough.

My comments stand that as a NAS device Unraid still wins with its ability to mix drives and in case of failure being able to pull out the safe drives and access them directly.

Can easily start without parity and add it later as well which isn't an option on others.

Direct terminal access is nice though, but still not enough for me.
 
My comments stand that as a NAS device Unraid still wins with its ability to mix drives and in case of failure being able to pull out the safe drives and access them directly.

Can easily start without parity and add it later as well which isn't an option on others.

Direct terminal access is nice though, but still not enough for me.
ok.

Synology drives you can also access directly, they are created with a mix of mdadm raid and btrfs, similar to unraid but maybe different. It is easy enough to recover the data outside of Synology when required.

You can also mix drives and so, but I haven't tested that myself as I have the 2 drive version. The 5 and 9 drive versions that I read up on you could do a lot more with the drive configuration. Since I haven't tested this, I will let your point on this stand.
 
ok.

Synology drives you can also access directly, they are created with a mix of mdadm raid and btrfs, similar to unraid but maybe different. It is easy enough to recover the data outside of Synology when required.

You can also mix drives and so, but I haven't tested that myself as I have the 2 drive version. The 5 and 9 drive versions that I read up on you could do a lot more with the drive configuration. Since I haven't tested this, I will let your point on this stand.

Yeh and then it comes down to the massive costs involved with the larger ones that take more drives.

I was under the impression the two drive ones are simple JBOD setups, but maybe it’s just the super cheap ones.

Short of mirroring you can’t really get all that much redundancy out of two drives.
 
Yeh and then it comes down to the massive costs involved with the larger ones that take more drives.

I was under the impression the two drive ones are simple JBOD setups, but maybe it’s just the super cheap ones.

Short of mirroring you can’t really get all that much redundancy out of two drives.
The 2 drive one I have by default uses raid1 with mdadm and btrfs just as the fs. If you want jbod you can do that too.

I still think their web interface is great although I am sure unraid is great too.
 
The 2 drive one I have by default uses raid1 with mdadm and btrfs just as the fs. If you want jbod you can do that too.

I still think their web interface is great although I am sure unraid is great too.

I did enjoy their web interface, again more from a consumer point of view than a more hardcore one.

It does have a lot of bloat and oversized icons and things that make it hard to work with on a small screen etc, as if it was designed for old people to operate.

I don't have anything particularly against it, was a nice product, just didn't seem worth the money and most certainly not intriguing enough to make me switch away from UnRaid.
 
Has anyone used a sonoff r3 basic with a geyser before?
Running a POW R2 with one of my geysers. Has enough juice in it to handle a 2kW geyser element. The R3 would only be able to handle something under 2kW. My electrician said that the smart switch should have 25% more amperage rating than the geyser's max for safety.
 
How about a Pi 4? Run off a USB hdd, and you have a low power device more than capable of running HassIO, and you don't need to worry about SD cards dying on you.
Moved my Home Assistant from the Pi 3B+ to the Pi 4 with 4GB ram. Haven't looked back!
 
Does anyone know where I can find a BH1750 Ambient Light Sensor? No one seems to have stock. I need either this or anything that is supported by ESPHome.

TIA
 
@phaktza, I don't know if this has been asked before, but have you guys considered the Wyze range of products? They seem to be quite impressive little sensors, at a good price.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X