Home Automation - Smartkit

Likely having turned it off for extended period is what made the difference.

It will probably conk out again soon enough.

Could very well be that it simply needs to be regassed.

Doubt the Sonoff is doing anything.
Would a regass change the electricity consumption though?
 
I want to run this past some of the smart guys :

About 18 month back I put on a Sonoff POW to monitor my deep freeze and for all that time, was perfect.

I noticed at the start of April that my power consumption to the freezer was reducing was reducing from the standard 1.9kWh per day gradually - but I put this down to the freezer working less, due to ambient temperature reducing. However I came back on the 17th April and everything was defrosted (had to throw away) - it used half the power of normal. So I put this down to freezer issue and bought a new freezer, as well as made plans to get rid of this one.

But last night I decided to remove the Sonoff - and freezer worked like normal again! Ice cold and my test food, froze solid ...
This morning I reintroduced the Sonoff into the equation - and perfect again ... 75-80w / 1.9kWh consumption just like the old days

* Do you think this Sonoff could somehow limit power to the freezer in error?
* Do you reckon the freezer is flakey?

EDIT : Below is March and April. I don't monitor this thing all the time - but I can assume in March with the dips, it was during load shedding.
Did you give the freezer any downtime in the end? What ive seen happen before is old freezers pretty much freeze up to the state of not working. If you give them a chance to defrost then everything goes back to nomral, until it freezes up again.

I think maybe just the break got it working again.
 
I had a fridge/freezer that we thought was stuffed. It had frozen up so much "inside" it wasn't working properly and I took it apart a bit more than you're "supposed" to and got it all defrosted and cleaned up etc. Seeing what was in there though, without taking it apart and using warm water etc as I did, I would imagine you'd need to leave it 3-4 days to defrost properly.
 
Would a regass change the electricity consumption though?

I don’t know the too deep details, but I would imagine it could.

Compressor is probably dying a slow death or losing pressure somehow etc.
 
Would a regass change the electricity consumption though?

I don’t know the too deep details, but I would imagine it could.

Compressor is probably dying a slow death or losing pressure somehow etc.

Could also be that it’s overflow was blocked. When you left it off for an extended period it all melted away and now it works again, although then I would have expected it to over front not under perform.
 
Ok so I chatted to my stepfather... He says the same thing actually. I've never defrosted it.

Now I have a second on the way...
 
Ok so I chatted to my stepfather... He says the same thing actually. I've never defrosted it.

Now I have a second on the way...

Too late to cancel the order? Depending on the size I guess having two can’t hurt.
 
Too late to cancel the order? Depending on the size I guess having two can’t hurt.
I probably could get a refund (though, it was eBucks - need to see how that works). ... But now that I'm on this electricity drive, the new one is more efficient on power
 
I probably could get a refund (though, it was eBucks - need to see how that works). ... But now that I'm on this electricity drive, the new one is more efficient on power

Aah yes their stupid system where you can’t cancel an order and need to wait for it to be delivered so you can refund it.
 
Aah yes their stupid system where you can’t cancel an order and need to wait for it to be delivered so you can refund it.
Is that really how it works?

I also noticed that they say 'before 30 April' with no real ETA. They give a 2 week window
 
Is that really how it works?

I also noticed that they say 'before 30 April' with no real ETA. They give a 2 week window

Yup. Retarded as it appears and surely a huge loss of profits.

Ordered the wrong thing by accident, phoned them five minutes later as I couldn’t find any button on the website.

Chick told me she’ll “try” to cancel it manually but it’s easier to just wait for it to be delivered and then ask for a refund/return...which does have a button on the website.

Most stupid bushes decision I’ve ever seen.
 
I am currently looking at replacing my outdated security system with a wireless solution.
Had a good look at Paradox and paid a visit to a local dealer who showed me a new product called AJAX which they import and distribute.
The demonstration of the system was impressive and the features with ease of installation and programming on a phone App from where the system is controlled “which by the way is free”
The sales guy also showed me that the system can be linked to a number or companies without a need for a separate Radio to be installed via a automated request.

The system also allows Ip camera integration to the App and control of gate motors and 220 volt lights etc.

Anyone here that can comment or have this installed as yet.

never heard of it or seen it but it really looks impressive. Who is the dealer that sells it? would like to find out more and also pricing etc.
 
@phaktza Do you know if the older Sonoffs will be compatible with the firmware that will be available on the R3 models? And when will you be getting the R3 models in stock. Want to place an order, but think I should wait for the R3 models.
 
I am currently looking at replacing my outdated security system with a wireless solution.
Had a good look at Paradox and paid a visit to a local dealer who showed me a new product called AJAX which they import and distribute.
The demonstration of the system was impressive and the features with ease of installation and programming on a phone App from where the system is controlled “which by the way is free”
The sales guy also showed me that the system can be linked to a number or companies without a need for a separate Radio to be installed via a automated request.

The system also allows Ip camera integration to the App and control of gate motors and 220 volt lights etc.

Anyone here that can comment or have this installed as yet.


Also installed a paradox system and it is linked to an app called Olarm. Allows me to arm my house and disarm remotely, bypass zones etc. My security company doesn't charge for Olarm.
 
@phaktza Do you know if the older Sonoffs will be compatible with the firmware that will be available on the R3 models? And when will you be getting the R3 models in stock. Want to place an order, but think I should wait for the R3 models.
At this point I know as much as you, I'll see if I can get more info - though it's sometimes a bit of broken telephone
 
I recently built a new braai area but there is no light in the braai. My garage motor is plugged into a lead in the garage with a extra space for another 3 point plug.

I was thinking of running a wire from the additional three point plug to the braai where I will add a light.

Now, I would like to add a sonoff device to switch the light on and off but I want to add a light at the carport which is between the garage and the braai.

What type of wire would I need to get?
What sonoff device should I get?
How do I split the wire to a light for the carport (will not be running off a sonoff) and to the braai?

The carport light will be on a day / night bulb and wont be able to be controlled with the sonoff, only the braai light.

I can place the sonoff device under the carport roof so it will be hidden from the elements.

This should be relatively easy would it not?
 
Fitted my iFan02 to my bedroom fan. Had help from a friend that is more familiar with electrical installation than I am. Must say, was a lot easier than what I expected. Works well. 4 more fans to do.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20190424_090444.jpg
    IMG_20190424_090444.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
Fitted my iFan02 to my bedroom fan. Had help from a friend that is more familiar with electrical installation than I am. Must say, was a lot easier than what I expected. Works well. 4 more fans to do.
Are all your fans non remote at the moment?
I have a 2 fans that have a remote. I wonder if it will work properly with them.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X