Home Network Suggestions

RossCo91

Hi all,

We will soon be moving into a new place, and having fibre installed.

I wanted to take the opportunity to get a good home network installed.

We are going to have an office and a games room that will both need wired connections.
The easiest way I cant think to do this is have the fibre installed into the office and run cables to the games room.

But the part I am more stuck on is the best way then to set up a wifi network.

I don't think one router will be good enough to reach the bedrooms so will need more then one.

But I have heard about Mesh systems and all sorts, and thought Id come ask the good people here for recommendations

Pho3nix

The Legend
TP Link M4 pack should sort you out from a mesh perspective. Get those wires in as well though

powermzii

Expert Member
Hi all,

We are going to have an office and a games room that will both need wired connections.
The easiest way I cant think to do this is have the fibre installed into the office and run cables to the games room.

I don't think one router will be good enough to reach the bedrooms so will need more then one.

But I have heard about Mesh systems and all sorts, and thought Id come ask the good people here for recommendations

What budget are you working with from a netowrking perspective? How large is the house and what is the density of wireless devices? Run cable wherever you can (Games room / Office / TV room) and hardwire more than less. Also having cable throughout the house opens up capabilities beyond where you are right now

Different people have had different experiences with wireless mesh systems but if you can cable the nodes you get less issues. Other wisdom here is to use dedicated access points (vs a meh) such as Unifi APs.. but these can get pricey

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Hi all,

Best not to have many cables running in the ceiling to the router as it looks messy and if you have a rat problem it could be bad news.

Get some decent metal netgear switches from duxbury and run a cable from your router to the switch (switch should be in another room, then breakout ethernet cables from there into other rooms, connect an AP to that switch too.

Genisys

Honorary Master
Best not to have many cables running in the ceiling to the router as it looks messy and if you have a rat problem it could be bad news.

Get some decent metal netgear switches from duxbury and run a cable from your router to the switch (switch should be in another room, then breakout ethernet cables from there into other rooms, connect an AP to that switch too.
They are a distributor, so unless a person is a reseller they can't purchase from them?