Home network with wifi AP's setup reccomendations

fionab

Once again hello all
Having set up the fiber installation 100/50 I replaced the supplied router with Tenda 1200Mbps Dual-Band AC Gigabit Wi-Fi Router With USB | AC10U and have added the supplied router in universal repeater mode (Tenda 600Mbps WiFi Router and Repeater | F9) The wifi is greatly reduced in the far corner of the house, I now want to add another AP but when adding one of the may routers I have in repeater mode it seems to cut out the wifi or radically slow it down.
Is there a preferred setup with recommendations.

Faux_Grey

Wifi repeaters will usually slow down your total bandwidth available on a channel of wifi.
Recommended best practice is to cable your APs together and run each SSID on non-overlapping channels. (1,6,11)

If you can, look at cabling Access points back to your modem/router, alternatively look at a powerline ethernet solution if you can't run dedicated cables.

fionab

Thanks, team
I have read some of the comments regarding the unifi units so looks like a good solution. The Grandstream looks good just not registered with them as I normally use scoop. Will confirm if they will sell once off to me,

carnagelan

Hi Fiona, please go have a look at our Facebook page www.facebook.com/in2designs
We extend your WiFi through out your house using cable which is the recommended way.

Otherwise get a mesh network which will work good but is pretty expensive

MEIOT

Expert Member
Go with an out-the-box mesh wifi solution. Something like Airties, TP-Link etc. Unifi is awesome but costly and can be somewhat complicated. I've moved from a comprehensive Unifi solution (Switch/USG/AP's/Controller) to a 4 node Airties solution and it's much simpler and requires less tinkering. I used to constantly tinker with my Unifi configurations (thats just me I guess) but with the Airties it's set-and-forget and I no longer feel the need to tinker. Wifi should just work seamlessly I reckon.

This coming from a massive Ubiquiti fan.

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
Go with an out-the-box mesh wifi solution. Something like Airties, TP-Link etc. Unifi is awesome but costly and can be somewhat complicated. I've moved from a comprehensive Unifi solution (Switch/USG/AP's/Controller) to a 4 node Airties solution and it's much simpler and requires less tinkering. I used to constantly tinker with my Unifi configurations (thats just me I guess) but with the Airties it's set-and-forget and I no longer feel the need to tinker. Wifi should just work seamlessly I reckon.

This coming from a massive Ubiquiti fan.
How easy is the setup? Also looking at extending my wifi range throughout our property even more so as we are looking at a cctv system that will connect/transmit via wifi.

MEIOT

Expert Member
How easy is the setup? Also looking at extending my wifi range throughout our property even more so as we are looking at a cctv system that will connect/transmit via wifi.
A mesh setup is dirt easy. Virtually plug and play. Log in to a portal, define SSID and Security settings and good to go. It meshes automatically with other nodes

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Mesh is dead easy.

I run an OpenMesh setup at home, and honestly all I needed to do was plug the units in and register them and job done.... network across all 1800sqm of my property.

OCP

Expert Member
Your best option would be Unifi units... but they are expensive.

They will present a single SSID to the property and greatly reduce any issues you may experience.
+1 for Unifi

Have 5 of them to cover the house/garden/entertainment area and garages.
No tinkering required + have separate SSIDs for adults, IOT devices and one for the kids that cuts off at bed time :)

Through work have installed many Unifi solutions (biggest one was a call center for 500+ users) with no problems or unhappy clients.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
I recently set up 3x TP-Link Deco M4 at a family member's fairly large house.
Very easy to use and it works perfectly.

R2k+ for a pack of 2 and over R3k for a pack of 3.

You just need an ethernet cable run between the two.

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
+1 for Unifi

No tinkering required + have separate SSIDs for adults, IOT devices and one for the kids that cuts off at bed time :)

Through work have installed many Unifi solutions (biggest one was a call center for 500+ users) with no problems or unhappy clients.
Which Unifi units do you guys recommend? Seems like there are a few.
Also which supplier?
Looks like senetic has decent pricing?

OCP

Expert Member
Depends on your requirements.
I have a few UAP's and some LR's but only because I got them cheap 2nd hand.
Reason for having so many is that my property is 44 years old and the walls are very dense (ie
No signal penetration) so have had to place them strategically to get decent coverage.

If you could give a layout of your property we can give you a better answer.

Also - you are welcome to buy through my Scoop account (I place your order - you pay and collect direct)

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
Depends on your requirements.
I have a few UAP's and some LR's but only because I got them cheap 2nd hand.
Reason for having so many is that my property is 44 years old and the walls are very dense (ie
No signal penetration) so have had to place them strategically to get decent coverage.

If you could give a layout of your property we can give you a better answer.

Also - you are welcome to buy through my Scoop account (I place your order - you pay and collect direct)
Thanks. Layout is as pic below. House is also old and about 2500m2. Idea is coverage throughout the house but also to the perimeter if possible as we will probably be going wireless with cctv at some stage. Router atm is next to the stairs and will probably start there going forward.

OCP

Expert Member
2500m2 or 250m2?

You would probably get away with 3 WAPs, 2 for the main house and 1 in the garage (if you want coverage there)

What area are you? if you are in CPT i can lend you a WAP to test signal strength with..

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
2500m2 or 250m2?

You would probably get away with 3 WAPs, 2 for the main house and 1 in the garage (if you want coverage there)

What area are you? if you are in CPT i can lend you a WAP to test signal strength with..
Woops yes property is 2500m2. House is 387m2. No wifi needed in the garage BUT one of the wifi cameras will be close to the entrance there so maybe not a bad idea. No situated in the east of JHB.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
+1 for Unifi

Agreed, Unifi is always my personal choice. I have installed a bunch of them over time and my house is setup with a bunch.
I also have the separate SSID's for IoT and other devices and they work flawlessly.

Reactions: OCP

OCP

Expert Member
Woops yes property is 2500m2. House is 387m2. No wifi needed in the garage BUT one of the wifi cameras will be close to the entrance there so maybe not a bad idea. No situated in the east of JHB.
Cool - 384m2 is not massive - 2 WAPS "should" do it but it depends on signal penetration (or lack thereof) which is why i suggested you start with loan unit first.
Let me see if i can arrange one for you in JHB