Home Sound help needed

powermzii

Expert Member
Hi Guys

Was fortunate enough to be able to get a Samsung 4K TV on special but as usual the normal TV speakers are beyond crap. Am looking for a decent package sound-wise to play the sound from the TV and bluetooth music etc. Budget is tight given the recent TV outlay but am not keen on any 2.1 channel systems and have been considering the following options:

1. Samsung HW-J6000R/XA 300 W 6.1 Channel Curved Soundbar - R6,790.00

2. JBL - 3.1 CHANNEL 4K SOUNDBAR - R7,499.00

3. Onkyo HS-S3800 5.1-Channel Home Cinema Receiver/Speaker PackageR6,499

What are your thoughts on these and which would you go for?

gamer16

Honorary Master
Why not get a component system the way you want it, get the amp you prefer as well as the drivers and the number thereof you prefer, along with a active sub or 2.

The reason I'm suggesting this is if you spend money on a decent amp you can upgrade and replace the remainder of the components as necessary with what you like.

If not, pick option 3

Lupus

Honorary Master
Why not get a component system the way you want it, get the amp you prefer as well as the drivers and the number thereof you prefer, along with a active sub or 2.

The reason I'm suggesting this is if you spend money on a decent amp you can upgrade and replace the remainder of the components as necessary with what you like.

If not, pick option 3
Option 3 is a component system already, its an entry level one with entry level speakers.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Option 3 is a component system already, its an entry level one with entry level speakers.
Hence I chose it, don't know too much about the brand though, I'd go hunting for second had B&W or Marantz amps

OCP

Expert Member
I went for the JBL soundbar as space was an issue in the small room i needed to add sound to the awesome 4k TV with crappy speakers.
Very happy with the quality and the wireless bass is suppurp.

1st price would be a sub + speakers but don't let the soundbar put you off if you are in a small room.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Hence I chose it, don't know too much about the brand though, I'd go hunting for second had B&W or Marantz amps
Onkyo is a decent brand, though they seem to be copying Pioneer as they bought them about 2 years back, or vice versa. As that looks similar to the Pioneer i picked up 5 years ago.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Onkyo is a decent brand, though they seem to be copying Pioneer as they bought them about 2 years back, or vice versa. As that looks similar to the Pioneer i picked up 5 years ago.
Heard this yeah, they made good stuff, when I was still at school I bought one of the oldie active subs Pioneer used to make, played aground and eventually connected it to another amp. Couple of friend, lots of drink and a whole night of max volume just where it would start to distort did nothing too it time after time, years later put it in my first car when I got it. Now its technically just my night stand, it'll probably still work if I connect it up.

TLDR pioneer made great subs

powermzii

Expert Member
I plan to go have a listen to the Onkyo later today / tomorrow to suss it out - i DO like the componentability of it and it makes upgrading easier in the long run. I listened to the JBL and there was really good sound from that soundbar. The highs were crisp without being harsh while the bass was full and not muddled at all. Room is about 20sqm (i think).

powermzii

Expert Member
So I ended up getting the JBL Soundbar yesterday... Given the space limitation and how the Ms was not having any component / speaker wires it seemed the best compromise. So far so good with great punchy bass - the mids could be louder but the highs are actually very crisp.