Honeymoon in Knysna

berghie

I'm getting hitched in CPT in April and want to enjoy quality time somewhere special with the missus after the wedding.
I checked out a few honeymoon options from myBB threads, but soon realised that:
1) Island resorts (Seychelles, Mauritius, Madagascar, etc.) are only available with connecting flights through JHB (wasted travel time on plane and sitting around airports waiting for connecting flights);
2) Island resorts are k@k expensive (starting at R12-15k pp).

So, I am now considering Knysna.
It's only a 5 hour drive from CPT and sounds like the perfect get-away: Cabin with wood-fired oven nestled away in an old forest, the ocean is nearby (the missus and I once camped at Buffels Baai a few years back :love:), kayaking in the lagoon, spa treatments for the missus, and it'll be a lekr road trip.
But I am worried the place lost its charm after the fires last year. Keen to hear if I'm missing something or if there are better options in WC/EC!

Last edited:

Friedpet

Knysna itself looks great, with most damage caused by the fire already repaired/rebuilt. Obviously the burnt forest is going to take time.
Spent some time in Knysna and Brenton on Sea last week. Brenton on Sea is also beautiful.
Do you have any cabins or places in mind? You could ask them for recent photos of the area.

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
i did the garden route as well for honeymoon

lots of animal sanctuaries and outdoor stuff to do

started in mossel play up to wilderness and then to oudtschoorn and through route 66 back to CPT

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
started in mossel play up to wilderness and then to oudtschoorn and through route 66 back to CPT
Agreed

Knysna is beautiful, but it's a bit too mainstream now, it became a tourist hub.

Mosselbay is awesome, as is Sedgefield and Wilderness (which happens to be my favourite town :love:)

berghie

airBnB is epic for finding accommodation! :)
Spoilt for choice in Wilderness and Sedgefield. Looking for a perfect mix of $$$, cosy, bright bedroom/living space & a deck with a view of the lagoon/ocean - positive I will pull the trigger soon.
Any recommendations for activities? I already contacted CloudBase for paragliding and Tony Cook for hikes (King Edward VII Big Tree) & MTBing, but where do I take the missus for spa/massage? Will also be checking out the weekend markets as the missus is crazy about "cute" arts & crafts. The paragliding in Knysna is way cheaper (750 vs 1250 in CPT) :)

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
airBnB is epic for finding accommodation! :)
Spoilt for choice in Wilderness and Sedgefield. Looking for a perfect mix of $$$, cosy, bright bedroom/living space & a deck with a view of the lagoon/ocean - positive I will pull the trigger soon.
Any recommendations for activities? I already contacted CloudBase for paragliding and Tony Cook for hikes (King Edward VII Big Tree) & MTBing, but where do I take the missus for spa/massage? Will also be checking out the weekend markets as the missus is crazy about "cute" arts & crafts. The paragliding in Knysna is way cheaper (750 vs 1250 in CPT) :)
Wilderness, Fairy Knowe Hotel. Awesome, my favorite stay in the area.

Spacerat

That whole area has loads to do. From Wilderness to Stormsriver to Oudtshoorn etc

If you into MTB which it seems you are, you have to do the Garden Route Trail Park at Karatara. The MTB tracks ever. Km upon km of manicured trails. The best I have ever ridden. They also have accommodation there
https://www.gardenroutetrailpark.com/

berghie

Finally! Booked my accommodation for 7 days on Leisure Island in Knysna.
Psyched for sunshine, ocean breeze and good times. So much to do besides sexy times :D
Paragliding (first time for us), kayaking, MTBing, hiking and kicking up our feet on a deck lounge chair.
Tip for anyone else coming across this post: Book well in advance on airBnB when trying to do a block booking, eg. 7 days Sun-Sun.