KSINGH

Executive Member
I'm hoping charges are laid and they pay dearly instead of just those weak penalties. Seriously now, R6mil! Of taxpayers money gone.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
According to the paper, the report recommended that Pule, Mngqibisa, Phiri, and Vilakazi be criminally charged for misleading parliament under oath.

But what punishments could they be facing?
Slaps on the wrist just don't cut it!

These penalties are an official reprimand, a fine for 30 days’ salary, the loss of her parliamentary privileges for 15 days, and to retrospectively correct her false declarations of interest.

Laughable as always :sick:

The ethics committee report also urged President Jacob Zuma to revise parliament’s code of conduct to increase penalties for serious offences, the paper said.

If Jacob says that there can't/shouldn't be a conflict of interest with members of parliament tenderpreneuring, then I fail to see how he will suggest this notion.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
But what punishments could they be facing?
Slaps on the wrist just don't cut it!

Laughable as always :sick:

The original reports (on MyBB and other media) quoted Turok as saying that that was the maximum penalty parliament can award, but that they will hand the findings over to the police, etc. for further investigation and prosecution. We should applaud this. For once the process did not let us down.

Edit:
But then there is this opinion from Eusebius McKaiser: http://www.iol.co.za/the-star/that-s-not-punishment-it-s-leave-1.1560579
I have to agree. It seems the parliamentary rules were written in a time when honour meant something to people who called themselves leaders of a country.

Last edited: