How much it costs to build a second-hand PC

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
How much it costs to build a second-hand PC

Graphics card prices may have fallen after the halt of the crypto mining hype train, but it is still expensive to build a gaming PC in South Africa.

New hardware is not cheap, and the price of a mid-range gaming machine is generally above that of a console like the PlayStation 4 Pro or Xbox One X.

Genisys

Executive Member
While you are mentioning how much more expensive a computer is than a Console, please also compare the prices of games. At just under R900 a shot, buying 7 games will already make the console more expensive than a PC. Then add the price of a new monitor/TV, then add the price of the premium subscription to play online. Then all of a sudden is isn't that great anymore.

ponder

Honorary Master
Or you could buy an i5 ivybridge, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, dell optiplex on gumtree for R2k and then throw in a GPU...

SilverCode

Buyers should be extremely careful when considering these offers, as cryptocurrency mining can dramatically shorten the lifespan of a graphics card
Has anyone actually come out with any proof for this?

I Googled around, but wasn't really able to find any, with it mostly just being people stating that is the case, but offering not proof or explanation. The people on the other side of the fence say it makes no difference since miners tend to underclock their cards, and the constant operation of the card means there are no cool-down cycles resulting in expansion and contraction on the solder joints. Since it is silicon and electricity, and not a mechanical thing like a car engine, there is no wear and tear on the internals of the card itself.

Lupus

Honorary Master
While you are mentioning how much more expensive a computer is than a Console, please also compare the prices of games. At just under R900 a shot, buying 7 games will already make the console more expensive than a PC. Then add the price of a new monitor/TV, then add the price of the premium subscription to play online. Then all of a sudden is isn't that great anymore.
Pc games aren't much cheaper when they are new. Also if you buy second hand on Xbox you get decent deals. I also get four cheapish games a month thanks to the annual fee. Which also can be cheap if looked around for.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Not that I want to get into this, but you can actually just surf behind the wave, and get awesome games a lot cheaper, just a little bit later.

The subscription for on line is relatively good value.

But, I am going to be all egotistical and all - I could buy a high-end 4K PC set up tomorrow. I do not want to. Frikken love my PS4 Pro with a decent TV. Any issues? It's a pre-ordained download. I don't need to fark around with drivers and whatever.

So, let's just leave each to their own.

access

Executive Member
Or you could buy an i5 ivybridge, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, dell optiplex on gumtree for R2k and then throw in a GPU...
and it doesnt even have to be such a huge gpu. legit free games everywhere, constant really good specials too.

this thread title.. "how long is a piece of string"

konfab

Honorary Master
Secondhand PC games do not exist, whilst secondhand console games form part of the ecosystem.