How NASA plans to prevent an asteroid apocalypse

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
How NASA plans to prevent an asteroid apocalypse

Among Earth’s natural disasters—hurricanes, floods, earthquakes—the one humans probably ponder least is asteroids, huge objects zipping through our solar system at ludicrous speeds.

Federal officials call an asteroid or comet collision “low probability but high consequence,” NASA-speak for it will probably never happen, but if it does we’re toast.

[Bloomberg]

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
If the plan doesn't include oil drillers then its NEVER going to work...

Spliffcat

Executive Member
One decent size hits. Humans won't even have time to put their heads between their legs to kiss their azzes goodbye.

RaptorSA

Executive Member
There's very few things on this planet as awesome as trying to imagine what happened at Chicxulub 66 Million years ago.
I don't think most people "get it"... The energies involved were truly astounding, I hope someone will do a proper super computer simulation one day of what -exactly- happened when he have more/better tech to do so.
I'd love to see that from space, or from a few hundred km's away.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
So was wondering. If NASA found out that in a few weeks a massive asteroid was going to slam into earth and wipe out all life, would you want them to tell you?

Cray

Honorary Master
So was wondering. If NASA found out that in a few weeks a massive asteroid was going to slam into earth and wipe out all life, would you want them to tell you?

And the flip side - would they try to keep it a secret?

eg2505

Honorary Master

in all honesty, been asking myself that question for a long time,

sure the big elites and politicians have a bunker all to themselves,
(wouldn't be surprised, that is the real reason for zuma's nkandla)

but all us plebs, what would society look like? riots in the streets, people fighting over bottles of water?
even if you somehow prepped to within an inch of your life,

what then? somebody with a bulldozer will simply drive into your shelter and rob and kill you.
it will get ugly real fast, im just not sure I ever want to see it firsthand myself.

and to answer the question, who told you ANYBODY besides a few privileged scientists will EVER know,
not even the president will know, imo...

Nithan15

Expert Member

They will have to disclose it afterwards under the freedom of informations act :D

eg2505

Honorary Master
They will have to disclose it afterwards under the freedom of informations act :D

belive me , a secret law and a secret budget will be enacted in complete secrecy,
nobody will understand why so much food is being stockpiled and why grocery stores are out of canned peaches.

Cray

Honorary Master
and to answer the question, who told you ANYBODY besides a few privileged scientists will EVER know,
not even the president will know, imo...

Plenty of independent observatories out there, would be bloody difficult to keep secret for very long.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Plenty of independent observatories out there, would be bloody difficult to keep secret for very long.

who told you the staff wont be on NASA payroll?

or that the previous owners will be "black bagged" for a while, especially if they dont share NASA's view to not spread the news?

governments have done worse previously, by hiding the truth, in a situation like this, who knows how far it will go?

roving death squads? maybe too blunt?

maybe virus that infects all observatories IT systems and prevent them from viewing "that" part of the sky?

eg2505

Honorary Master
And the flip side - would they try to keep it a secret?

certainly, do EVERYTHING possible to hide info like this,

or to quote armageddon,

ïf info like this were to come out worst parts of the bible, wars, riots ect ect...

Drifter

Honorary Master
One is already on it's way. Why do you think the sudden rush to get a craft that can carry passengers to space?

(puts away tin foil hat)

eg2505

Honorary Master
So all the governments that have telescopes throughout the world are all on the NASA payroll....? :crylaugh:

they will get a directive, and have to follow it--or else...

hard to know what they can/will do.

eg2505

Honorary Master
One is already on it's way. Why do you think the sudden rush to get a craft that can carry passengers to space?

(puts away tin foil hat)

I sure, maybe they see it away in 10 years time, and now preparing things quietly for it,
very possible, when the time comes mysterious Busses will drive around picking up people to take to shelters.

and food shortages will start biting harder, and many other weird things will start taking hold.
some smart people might notice, majority wont, and will fight over water when the doors to the shelters close on them.