How to reduce eye strain when working on a computer

Marius Flash

Expert Member
Computer Vision Syndrome is caused by many factors.... One for me is to avoid having all lights off during the night while on a PC. Have the light on or a lamp nearby.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Computer Vision Syndrome is caused by many factors.... One for me is to avoid having all lights off during the night while on a PC. Have the light on or a lamp nearby.

Just install f.lux as mentioned in the article. I've been using it for ages now and it's awesome. Really helps with eye strain at night.

I once accidentally closed f.lux when I wanted to close Telegram from my pool of hidden taskbar icons, and it was like being blinded. It's amazing how much glare the program spares you from at night.

nicbst

Just install f.lux as mentioned in the article. I've been using it for ages now and it's awesome. Really helps with eye strain at night.

I once accidentally closed f.lux when I wanted to close Telegram from my pool of hidden taskbar icons, and it was like being blinded. It's amazing how much glare the program spares you from at night.

+1 for f.lux. Been using it for a while too and it's really awesome. Maybe too awesome since it makes me spend too much time at my PC...;)

kripstoe

Expert Member

Not glare. Changes the color temperature of the display. Been using it since it was released and it's the first thing I install when I re-install my OS.

Blinking is underrated. Used to have issues with dry eyes. Visited an optometrist years ago, and he told me to train myself to blink more - when you blink it should almost go dark. Have not had a problem since I took his advice.

saor

Honorary Master
Blinking is underrated. Used to have issues with dry eyes. Visited an optometrist years ago, and he told me to train myself to blink more - when you blink it should almost go dark. Have not had a problem since I took his advice.
I've also heard that closing your eyes and covering them with your hands for 10 seconds is a good way to give them a quick rest.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Not glare. Changes the color temperature of the display. Been using it since it was released and it's the first thing I install when I re-install my OS.

I only said glare for lack of a better word. I think people know what I mean. Disabling f.lux at night is a painful experience.

Thor

Honorary Master
Any app similar to f.lux for Android?

I don't have a rooted Samsung and f.lux needs root.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

saor

Honorary Master
Any app similar to f.lux for Android?

I don't have a rooted Samsung and f.lux needs root.
Twilight.
Allows for further screen dimming and does what f.lux does. No root required.

Thor

Honorary Master
Ahh so essentially what I'm looking for is something to cut out the 50000k blue light of destruction

airborne

Honorary Master
I have a really nice calibrated IPS computer monitor, I tried Flux but it ruins the amazing colour fidelity so I ended up switching it off and on to view video/images accurately and then eventually just have up.

Same thing with the OLED displays on my phone and tablet, I think I should try twilight again on my phone at least.

airborne

Honorary Master
Ahh so essentially what I'm looking for is something to cut out the 50000k blue light of destruction
It changes the colour temperature of your display, warms it right up.

For instance around 7000k is a temp many computer displays ship from factory with, which would mean a display with a blue tint(relatively speaking), this is the blue that keeps you awake messes with your circadian rhythm etc Flux changes the devices system wide color calibration down to 2000-3000k which is approximate incandescent globe and means no blue light.

If you know what a LUT(look up table) is, then you can equate Flux or similar apps to a LUT that shifts all colour temps down by say 4000k.

Colour temperatures are measured off neutral gray, white light(light that will give neutral gray a neutral grey appearance) temp is 6500k, same temp as daylight, colder light is higher than 6500k and progressively more blue. Warmer is lower than 6500k and progressively more red.

Last edited:

Thor

Honorary Master
It changes the colour temperature of your display, warms it right up.

For instance around 7000k is a temp many computer displays ship from factory with, which would mean a display with a blue tint(relatively speaking), this is the blue that keeps you awake messes with your circadian rhythm etc Flux changes the devices system wide color calibration down to 2000-3000k which is approximate incandescent globe and means no blue light.

If you know what a LUT(look up table) is, then you can equate Flux or similar apps to a LUT that shifts all colour temps down by say 4000k.

Colour temperatures are measured off neutral gray, white light(light that will give neutral gray a neutral grey appearance) temp is 6500k, same temp as daylight, colder light is higher than 6500k and progressively more blue. Warmer is lower than 6500k and progressively more red.
Yea I gave all this a skip after trying it on my phone now and Flux on the pc.

Not a chance in helm I'm crippling my 10k dell display for this k@k.

Look how the phone looks as well.

4425467f59fa89c4e5ae779ad40ebc0a.jpg

rorz0r

Executive Member
f.lux on PC is great (except it can't handle my USB monitors) but the non root apps for Android suck. They all just put a red overlay over everything and it looks ***.

saor

Honorary Master
Not a chance in helm I'm crippling my 10k dell display for this k@k.
You get used to it after a few minutes.

But you're right - rather cripple your eyes and sleep instead of your precious 10k display *rollseyes*. I figured someone who wears Vibrams would understand the logic of sacrificing aesthetic for function.

Thor

Honorary Master
You get used to it after a few minutes.

But you're right - rather cripple your eyes and sleep instead of your precious 10k display *rollseyes*. I figured someone who wears Vibrams would understand the logic of sacrificing aesthetic for function.
Tell that to graphic designers.

saor

Honorary Master
Tell that to graphic designers.
I don't understand the point you're trying to make in the context of a sane discussion...

THOR: f.lux makes my 10k screen look like it costs R10.
ME: Yes but who cares about how it looks - it's saving your eyes.
THOR: Yes but graphic designers.

If you said: "Yeah but I'm a graphic designer who does graphic work late at night" I would understand your point but...in the event of you not even trying to make a point I'm just going to assume your point was: "I like milkshakes and what you said looks more like a banana."

Last edited: