How to start learning Android dev?

newby_investor

Expert Member
Quick question for anyone who might be in this game already.

I'm a fairly seasoned software developer (though low-level C is usually more my thing), but looking to get into Android for various reasons. Apps to an extent but also the underlying OS.

Where would one start learning these skills? Is there a guide for noobs somewhere?

Thor

Honorary Master
Subscribed.

I am comfortable in C and PHP, procedurally.

Whenever I attempt Android dev or hybrid (Ionic + Cordova) I give up as it all seems to be very OOP tailored.

Sysem

Expert Member
The Google CodeLabs are apparently* quite good, and the r/AndroidDev subreddit can be useful.

If you have some experience with OO coding, it won't be too bad. The major issue is the Android API's, as half of them are horrible and the other half over-engineered... There's also a ton of (good) YouTube content around.

Theres also a bit of a divide with starting with Kotlin or Java. Personally, Kotlin is my choice - but I have a strong understanding of Java already, which is very important, even when using Kotlin.

My advice, start small... Get Android Studio setup, run the Hello World app and go from there. There's a lot to take in, as the framework is incredibly large - so bite parts of piece by piece

(*I saw apparently as I've never actually used them, just seen discussions about them online)