How to stop iOS auto update/download

riscbroker

Expert Member
I've got an iPhone 3GS on iOS 5.1.1. It was a little buggy so I restored to a previously 'signed' version of the same. Everything works perfectly, including, unfortunately, the iOS software update function, which I cannot stop (as soon as the the phone is on wi-fi it starts auto downloading the 6.1.3 software - without asking...)

I believe it will download to the device and then will only install on instruction. There are a few jailbreak tweaks that remove/disable the 'install' facility to prevent an unintended update once the software is downloaded, but nothing that can prevent the actual download to the device. I only have access to EDGE internet connectivity that is obviously pricey and tremendously slow so I'm trying at all costs to avoid/abort the download. It only forces the download if connected via wifi, nothing downloads if connected directly via EDGE.

I've built custom 5.1.1 using both iFaith and Snowbreeze and restored with those, I've jailbroken with Absinthe and Redsnow and tried every tweak in Cydia. Nothing stops the download.

Anyone here know of a fix? Maybe disabling a daemon in the OS?

vinodh

Expert Member
I've got an iPhone 3GS on iOS 5.1.1. It was a little buggy so I restored to a previously 'signed' version of the same. Everything works perfectly, including, unfortunately, the iOS software update function, which I cannot stop (as soon as the the phone is on wi-fi it starts auto downloading the 6.1.3 software - without asking...)

I believe it will download to the device and then will only install on instruction. There are a few jailbreak tweaks that remove/disable the 'install' facility to prevent an unintended update once the software is downloaded, but nothing that can prevent the actual download to the device. I only have access to EDGE internet connectivity that is obviously pricey and tremendously slow so I'm trying at all costs to avoid/abort the download. It only forces the download if connected via wifi, nothing downloads if connected directly via EDGE.

I've built custom 5.1.1 using both iFaith and Snowbreeze and restored with those, I've jailbroken with Absinthe and Redsnow and tried every tweak in Cydia. Nothing stops the download.

Anyone here know of a fix? Maybe disabling a daemon in the OS?

I found this app that claims to do what you want:

http://modmyi.com/content/7509-review-software-update-killer-absolutely-disable-ios-5-software-update.html

riscbroker

Expert Member
Thanks vinodh, I installed that first thing per EDGE, before I even connected to WiFi.
It does indeed decommission the download and install update button but the download initiates automatically. It seems there is no way to stop the download, but plenty tweaks to prevent you from actually performing the install. I'll see if I can contact the developer of this tweak.