How to survive off the Eskom grid

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
How to survive off the Eskom grid

The grim reality of load-shedding has returned to South Africa, with citizens once again being subjected to rolling blackouts on a regular basis.

These scheduled outages not only damage the economy and affect the productivity of businesses, but are also painfully frustrating to individuals.

Cheap and easy?

Bought some of these at PnP Hyper a few weeks back for R149 each:
MAGNETO Rechargeable Led Lantern Black
https://www.makro.co.za/sports-and-...Fjlsftad1sJVYPIdnA9MQ6xw7dMNjlsIaAm0iEALw_wcB

Have 2 of these, one for boiling the camping whistle kettle, the other for heating food or using both for food stuff (Bushbaby is the Checkers brand name). The little gas cannisters are R25 each at Checkers:
ALVA/Bushbaby Single Burner Canister Stove
https://www.makro.co.za/sports-and-...LNj33LC6t4C6dtOZiIR2jQ6Rwnag6KO4aAjnIEALw_wcB

Cheap and easy?

https://www.makro.co.za/sports-and-...Fjlsftad1sJVYPIdnA9MQ6xw7dMNjlsIaAm0iEALw_wcB

Have 2 of these, one for boiling the camping whistle kettle, the other for heating food or using both for food stuff (Bushbaby is the Checkers brand name). The little gas cannisters are R25 each at Checkers:
https://www.makro.co.za/sports-and-...LNj33LC6t4C6dtOZiIR2jQ6Rwnag6KO4aAjnIEALw_wcB
The solar powered lights work better.
It's a schlep to keep recharging.

There are so many solutions and alternatives to this load shedding that our late forefather Jacob Zuma invented (google it, was never there b4, Gupta etc bla bla bla)

I must say I kinda enjoy the whole load shedding, especially after works hours. I am at home and get a chance to just switch off from all our 'noise'. I have seen families brought closer playing Monoplay games and card games :)

ekske1

Expert Member
Cheap and easy?

https://www.makro.co.za/sports-and-outdoor/alva-/br-220g-single-burner-canister-stove-290500EA?gclid=Cj0KCQiArqPgBRCRARIsAPwlHoUljNRUUluCnObOx_KFeEFLNj33LC6t4C6dtOZiIR2jQ6Rwnag
I have 2x Magnetos; Makro was selling them for 149 a pop when I was there this week. They are awesome for in between lamps.

Ahaha after camp equestrian for 8 days without power my camping gear has increased. However we now have decent gas stove / hob which is great.

The solar powered lights work better.
It's a schlep to keep recharging.
Once a month is a schlep? :unsure:
Or running them directly from the socket? :unsure: :unsure:

Or running them directly from the socket?:unsure::unsure:
That one especially. Keeping it plugged in is a greater schlep than making sure the solar panel gets sun and the things are charged? BTW, the Magnetos can take 9v solar for charging.

I have 6 of the white ultratecs that are a bit old and thus have dead batteries, need to go to Communica this weekend and buy some. Those batteries are much more of a schlep to replace than the Magneto ones.

I have 2x Magnetos; Makro was selling them for 149 a pop when I was there this week. They are awesome for in between lamps.

Ahaha after camp equestrian for 8 days without power my camping gear has increased. However we now have decent gas stove / hob which is great.

Or running them directly from the socket? :unsure: :unsure:
I feel that moving forward solar is the way to go where possible.
Never know how bad it can get.

ekske1

Expert Member
That one especially. Keeping it plugged in is a greater schlep that making sure the solar panel gets sun? BTW, the Magnetos can take 9v solar for charging.

I have 6 of the white ultratecs that have dead batteries, need to go to Communica this weekend and buy some.
Other fun thing about them, you can easily turn them into solar kits.

ekske1

Expert Member
I feel that moving forward solar is the way to go where possible.
Never know how bad it can get.
How is solar going to help you when the grid collapse?

Who is going to keep your food cold before you buy them, who is going to < insert >. So unless you are fully living of the grid and already providing for yourself from your own land, having solar isn't going to solve everything. Espcially if DDay arrives.

I am not even talking about "the walking dead" scavengers running about for food and drink... Better get those solar turrets and defenses going.

How is solar going to help you when the grid collapse?

Who is going to keep your food cold before you buy them, who is going to < insert >. So unless you are fully living of the grid and already providing for yourself from your own land, having solar isn't going to solve everything. Espcially if DDay arrives.

I am not even talking about "the walking dead" scavengers running about for food and drink... Better get those solar turrets and defenses going.
We're discussing lights at night.

beans100

Executive Member
That one especially. Keeping it plugged in is a greater schlep than making sure the solar panel gets sun and the things are charged? BTW, the Magnetos can take 9v solar for charging.

I have 6 of the white ultratecs that are a bit old and thus have dead batteries, need to go to Communica this weekend and buy some. Those batteries are much more of a schlep to replace than the Magneto ones.
My batteries is still working. I think because of my OCD, I follow the instructions and charge them every 3 months, even when they weren't used. To prevent the battery from draining to a point of no return.

My batteries is still working. I think because of my OCD, I follow the instructions and charge them every 3 months, even when they weren't used. To prevent the battery from draining to a point of no return.
Who knows how old they were when I bought them on 50% off sale? They were always plugged in after buying. After a year or 2 they held no charge.