How to tailor your CV to get an interview

Technically, that makes sense but pretty sure it is used interchangeably here in good ol RSA
 
I just download my LinkedIn as a pdf and send it if they're too lazy to look it.
No issues yet.
 
Technically, that makes sense but pretty sure it is used interchangeably here in good ol RSA

In both the US and SA, they seem to mostly be used interchangeably now, and mostly mean "resume" - I've see the same in the UK too, but perhaps that is more of a recent thing. The only difference is usually for academics: Academics will generally have a CV on their website (so not job tailored at all), with a list of prior work positions and education, but also an extensive list of publications, review/programme committees, society membership (ACM, etc), academic ratings (NRF, etc.), grants, awards, etc. I've seen many academics apply with their generic CV or a customized CV. I've received CV's that are 20 pages long. :p

I don't have any issues with one vs the other - what I don't like is poor formatting and TMI. No floral borders - or any borders or picture of you. I don't want your ID number, DOB, driver status, high school marks, high school extra-mural activities, your prior job as a waiter, health status, marriage status or number of kids.
 
LinkedIN one is alright, but stackoverflows CV builder beats it imo.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X