HP Laptop - 6910P

Pluto123

Hi Folks

I hope and trust that you all are safe out there.

I have an old (2005 ish) HP laptop. Our nanny's kids are still at home so I am donating the laptop and a LTE router so they can at least get some on-line learning , more so for the little fellow.

I had to do a full re-install on the laptop . It has windows XP installed.

I can not browse the internet to update any drivers etc . SYMANTEC seems to be able to connect to the internet via the network cable and do it's updates however if open up the internet explorer - no connection

So the issues :
1. Connect to the internet
2. - Up Date windows XP
3. - All driver updates

Any help please - its going to a good cause.

Thanks

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Try download the drivers using another working pc in your house. Then put them on a flash drive and install them on the Windows XP machine. Should be able to find the drivers here:

If you get stuck along the way, post some screenshots so we can help you out.

Pluto123

Try download the drivers using another working pc in your house. Then put them on a flash drive and install them on the Windows XP machine. Should be able to find the drivers here:

If you get stuck along the way, post some screenshots so we can help you out.
Hi Napalm,

The windows sticker on the laptop says "Vista Business" yet the system information in windows shows XP.

I have manually downloaded drivers onto a flash drive and updated the machine however I just can not connect to the net - which driver should I aim for ?

Pluto123

I noticed that there is limited connectivity - I can get onto MSN but its very limited in terms of the page in relation to the proper MSN page. The same with google . Note - I Am connected via ethernet

Napalm2880

Expert Member
From what you've just told me, I would go straight to Windows 10.

Create Windows 10 installation media

Then purchase either a Home or Pro licence from:
@Flashgear

Or download a copy from the high seas depending on your morals and/or pocket book.

If you choose to stick it out on XP, your issue sounds rather strange. Can you navigate to www.google.co.za?

Pluto123

From what you've just told me, I would go straight to Windows 10.

Create Windows 10 installation media

Then purchase either a Home or Pro licence from:
@Flashgear

Or download a copy from the high seas depending on your morals and/or pocket book.

If you choose to stick it out on XP, your issue sounds rather strange. Can you navigate to www.google.co.za?
Hi Napalm

I fear this machine is a bit too old for windows 10 - from past experience ? Any ways , I managed to get service pack 3 installed last night . no really joy.

I can get to google.co.za and if I run a search , there results pop up however the display on the page is sort of grainy and missing items . If I navigate to a website then it tells me page not found or server not found .

could it be that xp is too old to connect to my home network ( tp link mesh m9 ) however I am using the Ethernet . The Wi-Fi on the lap top connects to my network - I just can’t access the web.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Hi Napalm

I fear this machine is a bit too old for windows 10 - from past experience ? Any ways , I managed to get service pack 3 installed last night . no really joy.

I can get to google.co.za and if I run a search , there results pop up however the display on the page is sort of grainy and missing items . If I navigate to a website then it tells me page not found or server not found .

could it be that xp is too old to connect to my home network ( tp link mesh m9 ) however I am using the Ethernet . The Wi-Fi on the lap top connects to my network - I just can’t access the web.
Easy, if you are using IE or some old browser from that time period it wont work.

You need to use this version of firefox:

Pluto123

Thanks Rickster - worked well ! We are at least on-line now - I am posting from the old laptop. Now to get the wireless connected. I am using the ethernet port. The wireless is a Intel PROset wireless connections.

It asked for the MODEM pin or device ownership password , which is numneric and then then tries to retireve the settings from the router . I am supposed to choose a unique network name and security settings. The WAP and WAP2 are not the same as that on the TP Link (2020 MY) router.

And the WIFI mesh doesnt have a device ownership password.

The connection always fails.

Sorry gents - I am feeling my way in the dark here but look at the bright side - we are on-line with SP3 installed.

Just need to get the wifi running and then they are good to use this laptop.

Thanks My Broadband users !

powermzii

Expert Member
Would installing a Linux distro be an option? Something like Pop OS, Mint or even Ubuntu should make the device more usable and those 3 have decent driver coverage

If it needs to look like Windows you could also always theme it

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Thanks Rickster - worked well ! We are at least on-line now - I am posting from the old laptop. Now to get the wireless connected. I am using the ethernet port. The wireless is a Intel PROset wireless connections.

It asked for the MODEM pin or device ownership password , which is numneric and then then tries to retireve the settings from the router . I am supposed to choose a unique network name and security settings. The WAP and WAP2 are not the same as that on the TP Link (2020 MY) router.

And the WIFI mesh doesnt have a device ownership password.

The connection always fails.

Sorry gents - I am feeling my way in the dark here but look at the bright side - we are on-line with SP3 installed.

Just need to get the wifi running and then they are good to use this laptop.

Thanks My Broadband users !
Can you post some screenshots of what you mean with the "MODEM pin or device ownership password"

Never heard of that.

Perhaps the laptop cant connect to a WPA2 network as its too old?

Try create an open guest network just to test.