Huawei Mate20 Pro vs Huawei P20 Pro Camera

Tcyte

Huawei Mate20 Pro vs Huawei P20 Pro Camera

As a cinematographer, I have always relied on my P20 Pro for composition. Apart from that, with a DJI Osmo, I used my P20 Pro to get some awesome shots which people always found difficult to believe that such quality would come from a mobile device. But after a full day with the much anticipated Mate20 Pro, I must say there was a huge leap in terms hardware on the device.
Of course, the P20 Pro is merely an infant in the terms of its launch and according to DXOMark, however, it remains the #1 smartphone in terms of photography in the world, as we speak, with its innovative triple-camera setup. But with the Mate20 Pro out, I believe it will topple Huawei’s own current leader.
  1. Rear camera
    The P20 Pro’s camera setup is what sets it apart from the rest of the flagship class, topping other brands, which now copy its style. The Mate20 Pro keeps the 40MP RGB wide-angle and 8MP telephoto lenses from before, but trades out the P20 Pro’s monochrome lens for a 20MP ultra-wide-angle lens.
    That to me is a huge game-changer because the AI-assisted wide-angle allows you to fit more detail within the frame and with the Super Macro lens function, you will be able to get more detail at a very close range, of approximately 2.5cm.
    2. Front-facing Camera
    On the front, the Mate20 Pro packs a 24MP camera with facial scanning via a dot projector and flood illuminator, which means the facial security feature will be a lot more precise and secure than that of the P20 Pro. It even has Animoji-like 3D Live Qmoji just like the Mate20 lite and the 24MP should be enough for most selfie fans.

Attachments

Park@82

Honorary Master
More detail on how exactly you took those shots? That 2nd one doesn't seem right...

Tcyte

More detail on how exactly you took those shots? That 2nd one doesn't seem right...
Took the images approximately at the same distance but the Mate 20 with the macro mode... Shows more details than the P20 pro

EliteOp

Okay but then I may be missing something, It looks like it switches to a wide angle mode rather, as it is zoomed out?
To elaborate, I'd think that the "Macro mode"would rather be as close as the P20 shot, if not closer, and have more details..

Tcyte

Okay but then I may be missing something, It looks like it switches to a wide angle mode rather, as it is zoomed out?
To elaborate, I'd think that the "Macro mode"would rather be as close as the P20 shot, if not closer, and have more details..
Let me do another try this afternoon and post the pictures

Dolby

Honorary Master
Just to piggy back off this post, I was bored and compared the Mate 20 Pro, Mate 10 Pro and P9 that I had. I'm going to keep posting actually as I test a few more functions in differing conditions.

One thing I picked up from the start (and something I suspected all along), is that the Mate 10 Pro is better in monochrome low light due to a dedicated sensor

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/index.php?threads/985397/

Tcyte

Just to piggy back off this post, I was bored and compared the Mate 20 Pro, Mate 10 Pro and P9 that I had. I'm going to keep posting actually as I test a few more functions in differing conditions.

One thing I picked up from the start (and something I suspected all along), is that the Mate 10 Pro is better in monochrome low light due to a dedicated sensor

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/index.php?threads/985397/
What's the Mp on the Mate 10 pro

Claymore

Executive Member
I'm no expert photographer, but the Mate 20 Pro camera setup is amazing. I especially like the aperture mode, for real close-ups.