Huawei MediaPad M5 lite

rubber_otter

Expert Member
I have here next to me, the newly launched Huawei MediaPad M5 lite. And when I say lite, I don't really mean it. Here's why:

This device is built for for media consumption. Be it the 10.1" FHD IPS panel, be it the quad (for the slower ones, thats 4) speaker setup, and specifically, the M-Pen lite, it all just ties together forming a solid device. Build quality is what you'd expect from Huawei. Aluminium body, curved edges with 2.5D glass, fingerprint scanner and your best friend, jack!

The Quad speaker setup by Harman/Kardon packs a punch, with better than average low end. Somehow they have managed to get proper bass firing out of all four corners, making the tablet vibrate a bit at the higher volume levels.

Packing the Kirin 659 Processor with 3GB RAM and 32GB storage (up-gradable via Micro SD Card), this is probably the only indication of why it is branded as a lite variant. A massive 7500mAh battery allows for 2 full days of use, benchmarking, drawing, watcing movies, and then some. The 18W QuickCharge allows for a full charge in under 3 hours.

And argueably the star of the show is the M-Pen Lite. The solid full-size stylus offers 2048 levels of sensitivity, giving designers and artists leaps and bounds more control. Unfortunately the M-Pen does not fit into the body of the tablet, but that is a fair tradeoff for the full-size form factor.

Lastly, because this is a tablet, it is most likely going to become a family device. Kids Corner is your friend. I have covered this in my review of the Mediapad T5 10, so I'm going to keep it short and sweet wit one word. Fingerprint. Being able to register multiple fingerprints, and allocating Kids Corner to your kids' fingerprints is genius.

Final thoughts: I really like the metal design, good and high end build quality. The screen is decent, the buttons are nice and clicky, and the audio quality is amazing. Local pricing on the Huawei Store is R5'999.

That being said, if you can do with only 2 speakers, no fingerprint scanner, no M-Pen lite, and a slightly smaller battery, save yourself the R2000 and buy the MediaPad T5 10".

Below are some sketches made on the MediaPad M5 lite using the M-Pen. Credit goes to Bianca De Klerk and Lelanie Erasmus.

sketch1554888203378.png sketch1555047479721.png sketch1555047504243.png Huawei-mediapad-m5-lite-quad-stereo-speakers-and-harman-kardon-tuning.png