Huawei P40 Lite vs. Apple iPhone SE 2020

jman

Expert Member
I should have posted that observation within the context of "GMS vs HMS" in my first post. Since I was using the comparison to highlight my current experience of HMS and not of EMUI.

You are right about the Huawei skin of Android. That is in another league compared to HMS.
It would be so wrong for me to even think of calling it unstable.
What's unstable about HMS that you've found? I've not experienced any instability or a dev Rom sort of feel?

Geselskap

Nightly/beta ROMs often don't have full compatibility with all hardware immediately. Over time, they become more friendly and more reliable. Until they can become a fully-fledged daily ROM with full hardware functionality.

I used this to describe my current experience of HMS on my P40 lite. I don't yet have full Google functionality as with older brand Huawei phones and all other Android devices.
HMS now does NOT have full Google compatibility. No Play Store. No YouTube app functionality and I have to open a browser to use it. This does not give the same experience as the regular Google app experience.
YouTube is just one example of this step backward because of now having to use HMS on the latest Huawei devices.

Geselskap

I was unable to recover WhatsApp chat backup from Google Drive when installing and changing to WhatsApp on P40 lite using HMS. Chats lost.

Geselskap

Biggest daily pain now for me is having to save contacts. Saving them to the phone does not save to Google account and means that should I change brand in future, any recently saved contacts won't sync. Will have to use phone clone type app to copy all new contacts.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Biggest daily pain now for me is having to save contacts. Saving them to the phone does not save to Google account and means that should I change brand in future, any recently saved contacts won't sync. Will have to use phone clone type app to copy all new contacts.
Can't you download the Google Contacts app and sync them manually?

Geselskap

What about third-party email/contacts/calendar clients?
Those work for email.

I was referring to availability of contacts saved to Google/Gmail account. Synch of any data (contacts) on Google account is currently not working with HMS on any new Huawei (post P40 lite).

jman

Expert Member
Those work for email.

I was referring to availability of contacts saved to Google/Gmail account. Synch of any data (contacts) on Google account is currently not working with HMS on any new Huawei (post P40 lite).
Do this to get Google services on your phone. Worked on mine 100%, just have to reset your phone

Geselskap

Do this to get Google services on your phone. Worked on mine 100%, just have to reset your phone

Glad you are happy with the results. From what I read on XDA, push notifications may not work in all cases. I'm not taking that chance just yet.

jman

Expert Member
Glad you are happy with the results. From what I read on XDA, push notifications may not work in all cases. I'm not taking that chance just yet.
I've not noticed much of that. Other than Gmail, which I don't need to be notified of right when I receive the email so I'm cool with it