Huawei P40 / P40 Pro

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

Huawei is the first smartphone manufacturer to use the periscope telephoto lens to enable an unprecedented optical zoom and it’s expected that this lens will be equipped in more Huawei smartphones next year, says an analyst.

According to information coming from Ming-Chi Kuo, an analyst at TF International Security coming Huawei mobile phones equipped with periscope telephoto lenses will surge in 2020.

The upcoming Huawei P40 Pro will use a newly designed 8MP periscope telephoto lens with F 4.0 aperture, making the P40 Pro Huawei’s first smartphone to come with 10X optical zoom.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Images of Huawei P40 Pro case show a penta camera on the back, flat screen on the front

Last month we saw the Huawei P40 Pro in some renders by OnLeaks, but they were too dark to gather much beyond the outline of the rectangular camera island. Alleged renders for a protective case now offer a better look at the phone.

The camera hump shows five cameras, matching the rumors so far. The one in the top right appears to be a periscope cam (the P40 Pro is supposed to feature 10x optical zoom), though case renders are not usually reliable about such things. From a recent leak we know that the Huawei P40 will have a triple camera instead.

The front of the P40 Pro is quite interesting as well. Probably the first thing you notice is the dual punch hole selfie camera, similar to the nova 6 5G. But also have a close look at the screen – its sides are not nearly as rounded as the ultra-curved “Horizon Display” on the Mate 30 Pro.

P40 1.JPGP40 2.JPG

FiestaST

Honorary Master
First Huawei P40 Pro photos surface

The first live photos of the Huawei P40 Pro have been captured and published on Weibo. The original source is Digital Chat, who is fairly well-known on Chinese social media as a tech leaker. However, the original post has since been deleted.

Still, nothing can be truly deleted from the Internet, so here are the photos. The first shows the front of the phone – you can just about make out the dual punch hole selfie camera. The status bar is set to black and there’s a case, which mostly conceals the curves of the display (you can see the side curve pretty clearly, but the top and bottom sides are supposed to be curved too).

gsmarena_000.jpggsmarena_002.jpg

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
Looking forward to this bad boy, I have barely looked at rumours, I just hope that they do take the periscope camera further.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Huawei P40 phones will be cheaper than the P30

The Huawei P30 Pro launched at a price of €1,000 last year, the vanilla P30 started at €800. This year’s prices will be lower, according to leakster @RODENT950.

He expects the Huawei P40 to start at €600, which would put the P40 Pro base price at €800. There will be a third model this year, Huawei P40 Pro Premium edition, that should be €1,000 at launch.

This discount is at least partially due to the lack of Google Mobile Services (GMS), the specs certainly sound cutting edge. The Premium promises 10x optical zoom, the Pro 5x and the vanilla model 3x. Using new sensors, Huawei is expected to bump the main camera up to 52MP with a Quad Quad Bayer filter, the rumored quad curved display can’t be cheap either.

Note that Google reportedly charges up to $40 per phone for a GMS license for devices sold in Europe.

Aharon

Executive Member
Huawei P40 phones will be cheaper than the P30

The Huawei P30 Pro launched at a price of €1,000 last year, the vanilla P30 started at €800. This year’s prices will be lower, according to leakster @RODENT950.

He expects the Huawei P40 to start at €600, which would put the P40 Pro base price at €800. There will be a third model this year, Huawei P40 Pro Premium edition, that should be €1,000 at launch.

This discount is at least partially due to the lack of Google Mobile Services (GMS), the specs certainly sound cutting edge. The Premium promises 10x optical zoom, the Pro 5x and the vanilla model 3x. Using new sensors, Huawei is expected to bump the main camera up to 52MP with a Quad Quad Bayer filter, the rumored quad curved display can’t be cheap either.

Note that Google reportedly charges up to $40 per phone for a GMS license for devices sold in Europe.

Does this mean they can get a licence for Europe (and sa) for GMS? Surely not?

FrankyF

I really love my P30 Pro. But can't see myself owning a phone with out GMS.
Yup, I'll also be hanging onto my Mate 20 Pro for quite some time to come, or until Google returns to the newer P / Mate handsets.

Can't not have Google services on my phone.

MirageF1

Expert Member
Yet UK government has just announced it will be using Huawei as a 5G technology infrastructure partner....

"The British government said Tuesday that it will allow China's Huawei to help build the country's next generation of super-fast wireless networks, a decision that could undermine trade and intelligence ties with the United States."

Last edited: