• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Huawei P8 Lite 2017 vs P Smart

GSRit01

Hi all you geniuses and tech gurus!

Just a quick one.

Need a phone, just something budget, but not super budget.

Came across these 2 phones, both seem fine for what I need.

P8 Lite 2017 is a bit cheaper than the P Smart, but is the extra pay in on the P Smart worth it?

Thanks all!

G:D

Ghoster79

My SO is having the same decision to make, but between the P10 lite and the P smart. According to gsmarena, the P10 lite and the P smart are very similar, the Smart having a bigger screen (5.65" vs 5.2), slightly better resolution and a dual rear camera. My choice on specs would probably be the Smart.

GSRit01

Yeah i'm inclined to go with the P Smart as well. Actually went into a store that had them side by side, played around with both and the Smart is definitely a little bit nicer looking. Just wondering if it's worth the extra bit. I think Vodacom has the P8 Lite for R179pm and the P Smart at R249pm.

Adoxographist

Yeah i'm inclined to go with the P Smart as well. Actually went into a store that had them side by side, played around with both and the Smart is definitely a little bit nicer looking. Just wondering if it's worth the extra bit. I think Vodacom has the P8 Lite for R179pm and the P Smart at R249pm.
This guy has a really nice review of p8 lite : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G19ZwxIAwA4
*Spolier alert: "Don't buy it"

Apparently, emui isn't optimised for this phone, screen doesn't have any oleophobic coating, and the refresh rate of the screen is tad lower than average.

stiller26

Hi all you geniuses and tech gurus!

Just a quick one.

Need a phone, just something budget, but not super budget.

Came across these 2 phones, both seem fine for what I need.

P8 Lite 2017 is a bit cheaper than the P Smart, but is the extra pay in on the P Smart worth it?

Thanks all!

G:D
Coming from an iPhone 6s, P8 lite 2017 is not a bad phone.
It is way beta than my ooold LG G3 with Lineage OS.
I took it because of the extra benefits. I was spending on prepaid over R200 for data and calls to other networks, I'm on Telkom mobile.
Two simcards in one phone is another extra for me.

stiller26

Coming from an iPhone 6s, P8 lite 2017 is not a bad phone.
It is way beta than my ooold LG G3 with Lineage OS.
I took it because of the extra benefits. I was spending on prepaid over R200 for data and calls to other networks, I'm on Telkom mobile.
Two simcards in one phone is another extra for me.
Been using the phone for two days now.

Dave

Honorary Master
This guy has a really nice review of p8 lite : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G19ZwxIAwA4
*Spolier alert: "Don't buy it"

Apparently, emui isn't optimised for this phone, screen doesn't have any oleophobic coating, and the refresh rate of the screen is tad lower than average.
What a load of nonsense, the screen definitely has an oleophobic coat, the refresh rate is quite normal, in fact the screen gets good reviews and EMUI on the phone is just like EMUI on any other Huawei.

For example:
Huawei P Smart has an IPS 5,65’ screen with 18:9 ratio and Full HD+ (2160x1080p, 427 PPI) definition.

The display takes about 76% of the front and is covered with a protective 2.5D glass with nice oleophobic coating.

The display is vibrant, with natural colors. Viewing angles are maximal. Brightness is decent; it’s more than enough for reading on a bright sunny day. On the other hand, the lowest settings are still not low enough – it’s hard to use the phone in the dark. Automatic brightness sensor works fine.

There is a night mode in the settings (activated via the notification shade or automatically) and deep color adjustments.

Overall, the screen is very good, which is obvious from the moment you first look at it. Thanks to tiny bezels, the device has a premium feel to it. If you want to boast, your friends will be impressed with the price for such a looker.
https://root-nation.com/gadgets-en/smartphones-en/en-huawei-p-smart-review/

Dave

Honorary Master
I think he was referring to the P8-lite 2017 not the P Smart
He could have made it clearer if he was, the post quoted is more about the P Smart than the P8 Lite.

I suppose the P8 Lite was a pretty crappy phone so he's not talking nonsense about that :p

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
He could have made it clearer if he was, the post quoted is more about the P Smart than the P8 Lite.

I suppose the P8 Lite was a pretty crappy phone so he's not talking nonsense about that :p
It apparently was pretty bad, even the 2017 reincarnation wasn't any better.

bluepoole

A friend's wife has the 2015 P8 Lite, has endless problems with it - wifi not working, etc. My colleague has the 2017 version, no problems with it so far, he quite enjoys the phone. My wife has the P Smart, very happy with it, a lot of phone for the money - definitely worth the extra few hundred rand over the P8 Lite.

LinuxMan

Expert Member
I have had the P Smart for a few weeks now, great value for money.
It performs well, I get almost 2 full days battery life.
I can't fault it in any way, the screen is great too.

rambo919

Expert Member
It's (video) a old review, its very likely that the software problems got mostly or completely solved with updates. Also if I myself get it I'll just put on some kind of screen protector anyway so who cares about extra coatings.

Cr419

Executive Member
I've had 2 P8 lites, first one got stolen out of my office, second one had an unfortunate accident with a steam pot lid at just under 2 years old. Worked ok, had no problems with it. I might in fact just buy another one now if I don't have the old one fixed.

rambo919

Expert Member
Getting a P Smart myself now, the extra internal space alone is worth getting a contract that's slightly more. R169 vs R199 pm.

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
hi all, i dont want to create a new thread

p smart or p20 lite

i see the only difference is the camera ..p20 lite has a better camera