Huawei rubbish - B618

Daruk

Honorary Master
So I really loathe these routers - the inability to specify your own DNS servers for the clients, etc. among other issues... so I have mine connected to the WAN port of a regular router - it provides an additional layer of protection (I have a seggregated guest WLAN now) so I'm happy with that.

I'm having trouble, however, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this - I get intermittent DNS failures. It routes, then it fails to route. The failure appears to be on the DNS side when it fails. When it finds the site, it loads up fine. Now I'd expect DNS to not be an issue once cached, but it fails intermittently on the same sites. It's a TP-Link Archer C7 and I've tried Gargoyle as well as OpenWRT to no avail. Both have the same issue. I'm at the point of replacing it but concened that I'm going to have the same issue with the new router... who knows.

Anyone experienced issues running a similar setup where you have a huawei LTE router connected to the WAN port of a regular router? With my tinfoil hat I can almost imagine the Chinese gvt objecting to me using my 1.1.1.1 DNS instead of who knows what I'm getting via the Huawei router over MTN LOL.

Long shot - is there firmware for the B618 that allows me to use my own DNS?

PhireSide

Executive Member
Why not set the Archer to be your DHCP server and hand out your preferred DNS that way?

Daruk

Honorary Master
Why not set the Archer to be your DHCP server and hand out your preferred DNS that way?
I do. That's why I have it in front of the Huawei, but I'm having these random DNS resolution issues with it so I'm wondering if the Archer is to blame... it does it on different firmwares. I just want to make sure it's not a common issue with the Huawei routing second hand.

Dan C

Honorary Master
I do. That's why I have it in front of the Huawei, but I'm having these random DNS resolution issues with it so I'm wondering if the Archer is to blame... it does it on different firmwares. I just want to make sure it's not a common issue with the Huawei routing second hand.
Doubt it's the B618. I've been running mine via Wan port to my Asus router and even when assigning custom DNS on the Asus I never had issues.

PhireSide

Executive Member
Maybe try setup a temporary DHCP server on another device, and point all DNS requests to 1.1.1.1 or 208.67.222.222 and see if the situation improves?

Daruk

Honorary Master
Maybe try setup a temporary DHCP server on another device, and point all DNS requests to 1.1.1.1 or 208.67.222.222 and see if the situation improves?
Good thinking. I'll give that a try.

PhireSide

Executive Member
Good thinking. I'll give that a try.
I have used this in the past on an old Server 2k3 box that had a semi-corrupt OS that would refuse to start the DHCP server service.

And I am sure there is a MacOS/Linux variant of the same software available too, or even some good open source ones.

If all else fails, grab yourself a Raspberry Pi and use that as a simple DHCP server if you want something low-power to keep running 24/7. I would highly recommend the Ubiquiti Edgerouter X as a simple router that you can drop in as it is quite powerful and runs on Vyatta, so you can even run cron jobs on it and simple bash scripts.

But you probably need Wifi so the ERx would not be ideal for your use, I'd imagine.

Daruk

Honorary Master
I've reset OpenWRT to defaults - it latched onto the same IP range as the Huawei router for some reason and refused to let me change it. No idea why. So far so good....

Leno

Expert Member
Asked if you on rain as I know they limit the number of ip connections/sessions your line can have at the same time.
This normally presented it self with DNS (udp) failures like you mentioned as tcp connections will just retry.

Maybe the other networks also do this, how many clients do you have behind these routers?

Also try lowering your MTU as MTU discovery could be broken now with the 2 routers etc

Leno

Expert Member
Also try turn off the firewall on the b618, or try white list your network ranges, as often it has over eager udp flood protection that kicks in

Daruk

Honorary Master
Also try turn off the firewall on the b618, or try white list your network ranges, as often it has over eager udp flood protection that kicks in
So far with a reset on OpenWRT it's behaving. I'll ping again if it goes awry.
That said, the title of the thread applies. Not being able to assign your own DNS via DHCP is ridiculous lol.

PhireSide

Executive Member
So far with a reset on OpenWRT it's behaving. I'll ping again if it goes awry.
That said, the title of the thread applies. Not being able to assign your own DNS via DHCP is ridiculous lol.
The B315 is worse. You get to assign a static DNS, but the entire router falls over and chaos ensues if you select a server that is on your local LAN