Hyundai I20 Error

tottenham

Hi Guys,

Quick question, on the digital screen where it tells you consumption and how many km's to emtpy ect, when you are on the "how many kms till empty screen" its flashing with 3 lines, which normally means you are past the reserve tank. We have since half filled the car yet its still flashing, any ideas?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Hi Guys,

Quick question, on the digital screen where it tells you consumption and how many km's to emtpy ect, when you are on the "how many kms till empty screen" its flashing with 3 lines, which normally means you are past the reserve tank. We have since half filled the car yet its still flashing, any ideas?
Has the fuel tank capacity meter moved showing it is now a full tank again? Have you reset your trips and the average fuel consumption?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Also....I have read it is a bad idea to let your tank run that empty. Can damage the fuel pump they say. The lowest I have ever gone is 70KM left .... and I think that is not advised either.

I dont have a Hyundai though .... but think the same still applies.

Nate3268

Hi Guys,

Have you tried putting it in rice? On a serious note Kia Picanto 2017 model does the same but comes right after R200 fuel, assume it is a software issue.

PhireSide

Executive Member
Disconnect the negative battery terminal for about ten minutes to give the BCM a reset. Take note that you will lose any historical data displayed on your on-board computer such as fuel consumption, average speed and possibly trip distance (my trip distance on my i30 remains after a battery disconnect but YMMV)

Your car will also have to relearn your driving habits so the idling and throttle response may be a bit strange for 50 or so kilometers.

And then of course you'll need to tune your radio in again afterwards because those settings will be lost when the battery is disconnected for longer than a few seconds.

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member
I had the same thing happen over the weekend with my Fortuner. Filled the tank and the range computer didn't change and kept going down to zero from where it was prior to the fill-up. It was just sitting on zero for about 3 days and the next it just started indicating normally again.

GlassMirror

Expert Member
I had the same thing happen over the weekend with my Fortuner. Filled the tank and the range computer didn't change and kept going down to zero from where it was prior to the fill-up. It was just sitting on zero for about 3 days and the next it just started indicating normally again.
This normally happens when the ignition of the car is not in it's fully off position, normally on the 2nd click (ACC position) it doesn't switch off the digital fuel sensor so when the car is started again the previously indicated level will still show up until the car is fully switched off and the car locked. Once the car is started once more the correct level should be shown, in most cases anyway

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member
This normally happens when the ignition of the car is not in it's fully off position, normally on the 2nd click (ACC position) it doesn't switch off the digital fuel sensor so when the car is started again the previously indicated level will still show up until the car is fully switched off and the car locked. Once the car is started once more the correct level should be shown, in most cases anyway
Yeah it's weird because in my Audi I normally sit and watch as the range increases.

tottenham

hey guys, sorry for the delayed response. seems to have sorted itself out. thanks

Dryden

I drive an i20 as well so I feel your pain bro. Every day I think to myself "What did I do to deserve this? Why lord why?"

It's far and away the worst stinking pile of rat **** I've ever owned or driven and I've owned some stinkers let me tell you. It's cheap, poorly assembled and just all-round a nasty experience.

But yeah, glad yours is working now.