Hyundai i20 vs VW up!

rudivs

So this is probably not a typical comparison, but it's what I've come down to. We are looking for a replacement for our Ford Ka (so we're looking at entry level cars), but we require that it must at a minimum have aircon, abs and dual airbags. Fuel consumption is also something we used to weed out some of the cars that were in the running.

Hyundai have a special running at the moment, which make their cars cheaper right at the moment, and I can get an i20 with between 24,000 and 30,000 on the clock for around R135,000. Looking at carfind.co.za, that's a pretty decent price. I can also get a VW up! with 4,000 on the clock for R132,000. I know that the up! is usually a lot cheaper than the i20, but the extra 20000 km is about a year's driving. Also, in the UK at least, the up! is supposed to have one of the lowest depreciation rates around.

Assuming I purchase a maintenance plan, and then sell the car at 90,000km, my cost calculator (see link below) estimates that the up! will actually be cheaper by about R380 per month, mostly because of the extra year I'd get out of the low mileage up!.

Having taken both for a test drive, the extra space and comfort features in the i20 are obviously quite nice, but I also felt that the up! has very solid driving controls (steering, pedals, gears, etc.). That said, I thought the aircon on the up! was pretty dismal, and the radio was very basic compared with the i20. Most of the time it'll just be a town runaround, so the long distance comfort which the i20 would have is less of a factor.

Are there other things I should be considering here which would make this an obvious decision? Have I missed something in my TCO calculator? I know Polos have a reputation for being stolen often, so would the up! also be frequently stolen? Anyone been driving an up! for a while and have an opinion about how the long term ownership experience is?

Last edited:

Bighit

Expert Member
The up looks cruppy from the outside, but the interior beats the i20 hands down. The i20 feels so cheap and plasticky around the dash and the trimmings don't look well finished off.

This is also one of my favourite SA based reviews on any car: VW Up Review

I'd also imagine that the up would be easier to sell due to it being cheaper when you want to sell it on.

phoenix99

Expert Member
Do you really want another 3 door car? The only 3 door I'd buy again is a sports coupe..if your family has more than 2 members and you prefer not worrying about long doors in small parking spots perhaps the hyundai is the way to go.

far2000

go for the i20, overall better package and the advantage of a 4door compared to a 2 door.

Sepeng

Expert Member
The extra doors would sway it for me. Had a two door car one upon a time. Unless it's a Porsche/ Ferrari, not any time soon again.

genetic

Honorary Master
The i20 is cheap and nasty inside, but has all the bells and whistles, while the Up! has far better build materials, but lacks everything else.

The Up! instils confidence on the road, where the i20 will feel skittish, but if I had to chose, I'd rather go for the creature comforts of the i20.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
I've driven both and yes the UP does look better on the inside but thats the only positive note.

In terms of resale value, the i20 has already depreciated quite a bit whereas the UP is still quite new.
The depreciation of the i20 will be quite slow since you are buying a used one that has already dropped a chunk of its value.

Which spec level i20 were you going for?

If you are going for the 1.4 glide, most comments above about the poor finishes on the i20 can be thrown out the window since the glide has (imitation) leather steering and gear lever, chrome trimmings and also climate control which gives it better quality look and feel over the fluid.
Also more airbags and PDC standard.

srothman

Expert Member
4 doors vs. 2 doors. 'Nuff said.

Edit: Although, having been inside both, I think the build quality on the up! is better.

genetic

Honorary Master
If you are going for the 1.4 glide, most comments above about the poor finishes on the i20 can be thrown out the window since the glide has (imitation) leather steering and gear lever, chrome trimmings and also climate control which gives it better quality look and feel over the fluid.
Also more airbags and PDC standard.

A leather steering wheel and chrome gear knob doesn't suddenly change the over-all build quality.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
A leather steering wheel and chrome gear knob doesn't suddenly change the over-all build quality.

"look and feel" ;)
I was talking about the interior not overall build quality.
There, the i20 wins without leather and chrome/

rudivs

The i20 is cheap and nasty inside, but has all the bells and whistles, while the Up! has far better build materials, but lacks everything else.

The Up! instils confidence on the road, where the i20 will feel skittish, but if I had to chose, I'd rather go for the creature comforts of the i20.

I think this pretty much sums it up for me too. Went for the i20 despite a nagging feeling that the up! is actually the better car. I think I'll lose that feeling pretty quickly while enjoying the extra space, comfortable seats, radio and, yes, cup holders.

One of the big things that actually sold me was the fact that the i20 has a temperature gauge. What's with all these new cars that only tell you there's a problem when there's already smoke coming out of the engine?

rudivs

The up looks cruppy from the outside, but the interior beats the i20 hands down. The i20 feels so cheap and plasticky around the dash and the trimmings don't look well finished off.

This is also one of my favourite SA based reviews on any car: VW Up Review

I'd also imagine that the up would be easier to sell due to it being cheaper when you want to sell it on.

I agree that VW have done a fantastic thing with the up! but despite having the aircon on during the test drive I climbed out with a sweaty back. The i20 passed the sweaty-back test with great aplomb.

Thank you for the video link: I've just found a new favourite car channel!

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Ja; Giro from cars.co.za is a character of note. All their vids are of a good quality. Dude got some humour & comes across way convincing than other car shows that just have the presenters reading off a screen.