I want a dog

PeterPan420

Hi friends. I want to get a puppy to raise and to stop girlfriend nagging about making baby. Where do I start?

PeterPan420

Freakin get a dog because you love animals and have the space and time to spend with it. Don't get one as a freakin band-aid for your relationship.
We are fine. Just don't want to rush into taking care of a human

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Hi friends. I want to get a puppy to raise and to stop girlfriend nagging about making baby. Where do I start?
With everything else about it being a commitment, lifestyle "impediment" and expensive to take with when you immigrate already said...

Breeder or shelter/SPCA. Not Gumtree and not petshops.

Medipet for medical aid.
Crate for training.
Puppy obedience classes.

To be honest, unless you said it in jest, the only thing "worse" than having a kid you're not ready for is having a kid you're not ready for and a dog you don't really want's **** to pick up.

halfmoonforever

Expert Member
Puppy is a good idea, but I would be more concerned about your girlfriend wanting babies when the relationship isn't solidified with marriage. I know the big M-word isn't for everyone and the idea is a bit archaic, but bringing a kid into the world when a relationship might not be stable, and having the parents separate (never amicably), can cause quite a bit of psychological damage... as does marriage being rushed into etc. Guess you can't win at life, lol.

Good on you for rather thinking of getting a dog to "stop her nagging" (which won't help all that much if she wants babies, but might be a stop-gap for you guys until whatever you decide on doing) Good luck!

halfmoonforever

Expert Member
Medipet for medical aid.
Crate for training.
Puppy obedience classes.
I wish more people did this when getting a dog. It's the simplest thing you could do that won't annoy your neighbors, much like having an undisciplined toddler being a total dick

KT-B

Honorary Master
Wow - do you know what a commitment a dog is ? Unless you plan to leave it alone during the day - you have to train it so it can go everywhere with you. The main difference between kids and dogs is that kids learn to use words. You would have to book into dog friendly places for weekends away or get a dog sitter, or book a kennel. It is a big commitment.

I would rather suggest you sit down and talk to your girlfriend. Give her the reasons why you don't want children yet. While she may want them, you are a couple, and both of you are important. Perhaps discuss a plan as to when kids would be acceptable. That way she will know there will eventually be some.