iBurst insecure installation by default

deweyzeph

Executive Member
If you used your iBurst modem on a good router like the Linksys WRT54GL then you actually wouldn't need any protection on your PC besides perhaps from a good anti-virus scanner. Internet security suites are resource hogs, just ask anybody who has had the misfortune of buying a PC with Norton or McAffee preinstalled on it.

Even with your iBurst modem plugged directly into your PC all you should need is the Windows firewall app that comes with Windows, and an anti-virus scanner. You're wasting your money buying products like Bit Defender and Zone Alarm.

Mental-Tree

So you attempted to test the effects of turning on File and Printer Sharing, but you had a third party firewall installed all along? :confused: I think you just tested your firewall.

Try turning off your firewall and repeat the test with and without File and Printer Sharing enabled.

The thing is when using the internet you SHOULD have a firewall of some sort, so having file and printer sharing turned on shouldn't be a problem.

@deweyzeph I'm studying my MCITP this year and my trainer showed me how easy it is to bypass the windows firewall, it's quite shocking.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
Even with your iBurst modem plugged directly into your PC all you should need is the Windows firewall app that comes with Windows, and an anti-virus scanner.
In theory, that's all you should need, in practice, you need a bit more than that.
e.g. Keep up to date with your patches, do not use a user account with administrative privileges all the time.
You're wasting your money buying products like Bit Defender and Zone Alarm.
Agreed, the free Zone Alarm is pretty good, it's a pity they crippled support for Internet Connection Sharing though. I switched to Comodo Personal Firewall it works with ICS and is also free.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
If you used your iBurst modem on a good router like the Linksys WRT54GL.

At a network level we secure mail and name resolution protocols but cannot vouch for the security of an individual's installation.

But, the Linksys WRT54GL has a nice alternative firmware available called tomato. http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato When installed you can use a neat program called Wall Watcher. http://www.wallwatcher1.com/ This allows you to see all the hack attempts on your installation. I also install OpenDNS www.opendns.com This provides phishing and botnet protection and has the ability to do adult content filtering (which is great if there are kids in the house) This combination is good enough that I wouldn't need an AV if it wasn't for those pesky USB storage devices.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
This combination is good enough that I wouldn't need an AV if it wasn't for those pesky USB storage devices.
Check this, the Sys: DoesNotExist method is very effective.
Also, configure your explorer to show hidden and system files, and not to hide file extensions.