iCloud

Dolby

Honorary Master
Just starting use this ... but don't understand one thing :

Am I right in saying it downloads to your device first - then uploads back into the cloud? So it's - for example - I buy a 400MB app from iTunes (downloads to my device) and then it uploads that 400MB app back into the cloud?

Shouldn't it simply be if one buys the app from iTunes - it should automatically go to iCloud? I was under the impression that when I log on now, I'll see all my applications that I've bought already.

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
It just downloads to your device. Apple handles the other stuff on their side.

Edit//
Just to be clear. You can only really see your old purchases(with an option to individually re-download them) in the appstore app or iTunes itself. iCloud is a separate thing and has more to do with the syncing of files(pictures, documents, calendars, bookmarks, etc)to the cloud. Its like dropbox for idevices.

The iTunes store(saves your old purchases) and iCloud are two different things.

Last edited:

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Everything you purchase from Apple, only needs to go 1 way (to your device) i.e. it doesn't have to send a copy back to the iCloud as Apple already has this.

Similarly with iTunes match still be launched ($24.99pal); unlike google's service, the Apple servers already have most of the music files, so the only files that will be uploaded will be those tracks that Apple doesn't have in its library. The matching process is very quick; the part that takes longer is the music upgrade part (i.e. by subscribing to the service, Apple upgrades all your music file's to 256-Kbps AAC) -- btw this only works from the US store.

The rest of iCloud is a backup and transfer service. i.e. you can now in theory operate your idevice without a computer; the iCloud will back up your device settings including photos, email, contacts, documents and application specific settings (keep in mind that apps have to be converted to work with the cloud, most 3rd party apps today will not)

If however you have a PC/Mac and other idevices then the service can also ensure that everything is synchronized with the same content, for example: if you buy an app on your PC's iTunes -- then at the same time your iPad will start downloading this (no manual action required); similarly if you take a photo on your iPad, your PC will receive it automatically, etc... There are some limits re the number of photos stored within the cloud, best to read up.

The write up on the Apple site is pretty good re how to set it all up.

Last edited:

Dolby

Honorary Master
Ah - I thought that I'd log into the cloud, and see all my apps, music, programs that I bought waiting in the cloud for me. I didn't realise they were totally separate.

So if one gets a new iPad, they still need to plug it into iTunes order to get he apps previously bought?

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Ah - I thought that I'd log into the cloud, and see all my apps, music, programs that I bought waiting in the cloud for me. I didn't realise they were totally separate.

So if one gets a new iPad, they still need to plug it into iTunes order to get he apps previously bought?
iCloud's web site allows you to see your address book, contacts, calendar, mail, docs and find my idevice online.

As you should be aware on your iPad there are native apps for all the iCloud services, so you will never log onto the iCloud with your iPad, instead you will access the relevant app to see the information.

iTunes on iPad and/or on your PC are the way to see what apps you have purchased and to download any missing ones if necessary, similarly it covers music, books, videos. Look at the purchased option when in either iTunes store on your iPad or PC.

Btw on the iPad to manage your books you need to open the iBooks app to access the bookstore.

So if you think about the functionality it's ~fairly equally represented on both the idevice and the PC which means you can exist with just the iCloud and your idevice i.e. the PC is optional, however if you use one then you get some further benefits, for example - unlimited storage of photos which is longer than the standard cloud allows, access to docs created on your idevice, music jukebox, etc...

To summarise, for a new idevice user the PC or Mac is completely optional and without it through the apps you will be able to setup, backup and upgrade your device; even synchronizing your content between two or more idevices you might own (for example: add an app and the other device will receive it, add a contact and the other device also gets it) -- a computer is therefore in this scenario treated just like another idevice.

Hope that helps...

Last edited:

undesign

Executive Member

Nope. Go into Appstore app - Updates - Purchased - Voila, it's all there!

NetDude

Expert Member
Thanks guys... Most of the questions I wanted to ask were answered!