ID and passport applications suspended

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

Home Affairs Minister Aaron Motsoaledi has announced the suspended applications for ID cards, passports, and marriage services to curb the spread of COVID-19.

“We will not entertain an application for a smart ID unless you are a matriculant,” Motsoaledi said.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...

Home Affairs Minister Aaron Motsoaledi has announced the suspended applications for ID cards, passports, and marriage services to curb the spread of COVID-19.

“We will not entertain an application for a smart ID unless you are a matriculant,” Motsoaledi said.
OK, that's awesome Aaron.

Are those home affairs employees that are now not doing anything being sent home and only paid TERS (if it still exists)?

surface

Honorary Master

I can understand about smart ID and passport (except essential travelers) but not sure why to suspend marriage services? Marriages can't be clogging the system as much as other applications. And hopefully, they will clear other TR & PR backlog this way.

Lupus

Honorary Master
But remember folks, make sure those drivers licences and disk are up to date or you will get fined. Fortunately you won't get Covid then as they made a package deal.

Africa.
Those have been extended till August 2021?

The_MAC

Executive Member
Oh, I thought the marriage services were suspended many years ago.. People won't even notice the difference post suspension

Nod

Executive Member
Only if it expired before end of December 2020.
There have been no extension for people who's driver's licenses expires in 2021.

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
I can only assume the post office is sitting at home too. Nobody answers those phones

Lupus

Honorary Master
Not the disk, that was a Twitter typo
Really that's BS, my wifes car expires next month. My disk expired in August and it was actually easy-peasy they emailed me the doc instead of mailing it to me.
Wish City Power had some form of digital way of doing things.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Fvckheadi mbawula anounced delayed till Aug 2021 for drivers, learners and vehicle license discs but when gazetted they excluded vehicle license discs.......

Lupus

Honorary Master
Fvckheadi mbawula anounced delayed till Aug 2021 for drivers, learners and vehicle license discs but when gazetted they excluded vehicle license discs.......
Geniuses these guys.

The_David

I hope they will still continue full back office operations and process those that have already applied, not just go on a lekker holiday.
Great time to catch up

Johnvgb

Been trying to get a new id book (can't get the smart one because I wasn't born here) for 6 months now. Eish mommy - driving me to drink...... sheeeeeeite no grog.......... aaaaaaargh!

netstrider

Expert Member
You can get a new disc at pretty much any post office. Usually takes me about 5-10 mins at the post office.

ilikepi

I don't understand why the suspension of marriage services? I know a few people getting married this year (who already pushed their weddings out from last year), and now this?