Identity Theft - What do I do?

Mars

Honorary Master
So I just got a call from the credit department of British Airways (??) informing me that there has been an application on my ID number for a loan of R140k.
The reason she phoned me was because the information on the application (internet application) did not match my TransUnion Information. It was a different cell number and different address.
So she caught this and flagged it as fraud, which I am grateful for. She says I should contact TansUnion to make sure there have been no other applications on my name.

So I log into MyTansUnion and I can see any requests on my name and I request my free credit thing.
The free report is years out of date. It fortunately does have all my current contact details and all that, but it has old acocunts that have been closed and does not have new accounts that have been open for years.

How do I contact them? The support number on the website seems to be for either technical support or for lodging disputes.

Who do I contact?

Mars

Honorary Master
I got my current report. There have been two applications with Woolworths as well.

After swearing that I wouldn't, I was seduced by the P30 Pro and I upgraded. Since thats the only place I have used my ID in the last couple of weeks and I wrong in assuming that VC is the source of this leak?

ice_cubes

Executive Member
So I just got a call from the credit department of British Airways (??) informing me that there has been an application on my ID number for a loan of R140k.
The reason she phoned me was because the information on the application (internet application) did not match my TransUnion Information. It was a different cell number and different address.
So she caught this and flagged it as fraud, which I am grateful for. She says I should contact TansUnion to make sure there have been no other applications on my name.

So I log into MyTansUnion and I can see any requests on my name and I request my free credit thing.
The free report is years out of date. It fortunately does have all my current contact details and all that, but it has old acocunts that have been closed and does not have new accounts that have been open for years.

How do I contact them? The support number on the website seems to be for either technical support or for lodging disputes.

Who do I contact?

you can register with transunion ofr that alert-everytime someone does a credit check or account enquiry you get an sms, contact details and name of person doing it. Its R280 per annum.

Snyper564

Executive Member
you can register with transunion ofr that alert-everytime someone does a credit check or account enquiry you get an sms, contact details and name of person doing it. Its R280 per annum.
tyme coach app is free and does this for free :)

RedViking

Nord of the South

Who do I contact?
I signed up with TransUnion, the following week my spam calls and messages increased a 1000%.

Mars

Honorary Master
British airways lends money?
Yea was a surprise to me too. Tho caller ID and on my transunion account it stated that the request was from absa so probably just a product from them.

So far Ive managed to stop 3 accounts being opened in my name. I am 100% sure this was leaked through the Vodacom Shop where I did my upgrade.

All of them where for personal loans, online applications, the address used on all the applications was 9987 TURKMENISTAN CRES , , GAUTENG, 0 . Doesn't even sound like a real place.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Yea was a surprise to me too. Tho caller ID and on my transunion account it stated that the request was from absa so probably just a product from them.

So far Ive managed to stop 3 accounts being opened in my name. I am 100% sure this was leaked through the Vodacom Shop where I did my upgrade.

All of them where for personal loans, online applications, the address used on all the applications was 9987 TURKMENISTAN CRES , , GAUTENG, 0 . Doesn't even sound like a real place.
When I became a victim of identity theft I had only one Telkom mobile contract that was active for years and no new accounts, the scammers have many ways of getting hold of your information.

As it has already been suggested buy a proper credit report and alerts from Transunion and keep an eye on your profile.