I'm getting upset with these parents

I find it funny you need to take a test to be able to drive, but no test needed to become a parent, both are equally dangerous when done badly and can affect many lives.

J
I think I'd be more worried if the government decided it wanted to regulate who could reproduce.
 
Oh please go preach elsewhere, I have a religious aunt like you who is convinced satan is leaving audio casettes at the side of the road in Tableview all because her church told her so, people need to use their brains and stop being spoonfed.

Wow im stunned how people who take part in religion tend to act.

Religion is an opiate of the masses to ease the pain of death - Marx

Its always the extremists who fight it out. On the one hand your aunt believes in satanic audio tapes because her church told her so - this is very bizarre to me but I can understand this from some new type Christian offshoot church with extremely fundamentalist viewpoints on the other hand you paint everyone else with the same brush and just want to throw out religion altogether because of your prejudice. I'm glad you quoted Marx because his model has been employed in the most successful of societies in the last century - Cambodia (Kampuchea under Pol Pot - wikipedia it), Soviet Russia, North Korea, Red China etc.
 
I find it funny you need to take a test to be able to drive, but no test needed to become a parent, both are equally dangerous when done badly and can affect many lives.

J

I find it even funnier that we sell booze and cigarettes to everyone (over 18) yet the economic and social impacts of the abuse of these substances
are much larger than overworked parents.

Your suggestion for controlling the population is in force in the PRC,
which I'm sure is a heaven for the average Chinese person (not the party aparatchiks).
 
Did I for once smack-bang laid the blame in front of satan. I am much more open minded about this universe, and probably you too, than you think. I don't walk around with a big wooden cross around my neck, but I do believe in God. I can conceive his position "about" our universe. Not many peoplecan or want to even try.

And I will see the Golden compass ... as soon as the DVD comes out.

Why must you watch the Golden Compass. I personally won't. Not because it's written by an atheist who has some issues with Christianity he can't keep to himself - everyone has issues but few people make THEIR issues OTHER people's issues - maybe I should moan and bitch and start writing books - maybe Nicole Kidman would star in one of my screenplays (nude of course). Seriously the movie is written by a guy with some grudge against the church, in his books and maybe less so but still in his movie, the Church and God are the bad guys. The movie is targetted at children while unaware parents may let them watch it the movie will spur many of the kids to read the books which are in fact a fantasy based on one guy's gripe with the church. Why won't I watch GC, because I don't watch kiddie movies like
Happy Potter, Narnia and GC although I do like Nicole Kidman.

There are so many better movies and books out there. Even the great Stanislaw Lem
- world renowned Sci-fi author and atheist wrote better stuff - read some of his 'for adults' entertainment.
 
There was a big hoopla about Harry Potter - when the first books came out.

Read those books, and found nothing wrong.

So I expect the same will be with the Golden Compass.
 
There was a big hoopla about Harry Potter - when the first books came out.

Read those books, and found nothing wrong.

So I expect the same will be with the Golden Compass.

Although the fact still remains that the author of the golden compass still has a chip on his shoulder. I will probably see it. I'm going to go to great lengths to do so but I might see it. And it's not as if he will sway me to become an atheist.
 
Although the fact still remains that the author of the golden compass still has a chip on his shoulder. I will probably see it. I'm going to go to great lengths to do so but I might see it. And it's not as if he will sway me to become an atheist.

I figure you'll be okay :D I have the trilogy and loved them all... definitely hasnt changed my concept of God either....:D
 
I'm glad you quoted Marx because his model has been employed in the most successful of societies in the last century - Cambodia (Kampuchea under Pol Pot - wikipedia it), Soviet Russia, North Korea, Red China etc.

Really? Gosh, I thought those were were Communist societies, not Marxist.
 
Why must you watch the Golden Compass. I personally won't. Not because it's written by an atheist who has some issues with Christianity he can't keep to himself - everyone has issues but few people make THEIR issues OTHER people's issues - maybe I should moan and bitch and start writing books - maybe Nicole Kidman would star in one of my screenplays (nude of course). Seriously the movie is written by a guy with some grudge against the church, in his books and maybe less so but still in his movie, the Church and God are the bad guys.

If you had actually watched it, you would have realised there's no mention or even suggestion of religion at all. I have no idea what people are upset about (apart from it being a rather empty movie, despite lovely cinematography).
 
Although the fact still remains that the author of the golden compass still has a chip on his shoulder. I will probably see it. I'm going to go to great lengths to do so but I might see it. And it's not as if he will sway me to become an atheist.

Same here.

Can't see what the fuss is about - if I am allowed to practice my beliefs (freedom of religion and the such) then the other party's also free to do so.
 
I have a religious aunt like you who is convinced satan is leaving audio casettes at the side of the road in Tableview
Audio cassettes? I'm a bit disappointed that this satan fellow isn't keeping up with current technology. Let me know when there are some good CDs or DVDs.
 
Audio cassettes? I'm a bit disappointed that this satan fellow isn't keeping up with current technology. Let me know when there are some good CDs or DVDs.

Better leave her in ignorance. She is safer that way. Because satan also operates through ignorant people on forums such as this, amongst others.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X