Insurance Assessment Letter

Stillie

Expert Member
Good day all,

Is there anyone in JHB that can do an insurance assessment on my PC at a fair price? Matrix want to charge me R500 to do an assessment on my PC.

It started randomly rebooting when I play games that require more power for the card. I have a 700W PSU with a GTX1080 and it only started after the lightening the other night?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Good day all,

Is there anyone in JHB that can do an insurance assessment on my PC at a fair price? Matrix want to charge me R500 to do an assessment on my PC.

It started randomly rebooting when I play games that require more power for the card. I have a 700W PSU with a GTX1080 and it only started after the lightening the other night?
To claim from insurance you'd probably have to get it properly diagnosed as that being the issue, so the R500 is probably them doing the diagnosis.

Stillie

Expert Member
To claim from insurance you'd probably have to get it properly diagnosed as that being the issue, so the R500 is probably them doing the diagnosis.
yea i know its the cost of assessing the pc, i was wondering if someone here might know where i can get it done at a better rate?

Lupus

Honorary Master
yea i know its the cost of assessing the pc, i was wondering if someone here might know where i can get it done at a better rate?
You could try PC Internatonal? But that is probably the going rate.

ponder

Honorary Master
...and it only started after the lightening the other night?
I had similar schite and it was intermittent. First shop could not replicated the issue. Took it to another shop told them struck by lightning and I also gave them a list of components for a new pc I wanted a written quote on to submit to insurance. The prospect of a big sale got me the assessment letter & quote within a few minutes at no cost :laugh:

Many ways to skin a cat...

Stillie

Expert Member
You could try PC Internatonal? But that is probably the going rate.
They are doing the insurance assessment for free. I am doubtful they are going be able to see if it was lightening damage, because the tech said that insurance companies want specific details.

I should find out today, hopefully

Lupus

Honorary Master
They are doing the insurance assessment for free. I am doubtful they are going be able to see if it was lightening damage, because the tech said that insurance companies want specific details.

I should find out today, hopefully
That's insurance companies for you :-(. I dropped my phone shattered the screen, had to get an official report on that's why it was broken. I'm like here's a photo look it's shattered :)

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
I had similar schite and it was intermittent. First shop could not replicated the issue. Took it to another shop told them struck by lightning and I also gave them a list of components for a new pc I wanted a written quote on to submit to insurance. The prospect of a big sale got me the assessment letter & quote within a few minutes at no cost

This is the best option, also remember that you'll have to most probably give the item claimed for to the insurance company so discuss data on HD etc and ensure the quotes don't expropriate parts.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
That's insurance companies for you :-(. I dropped my phone shattered the screen, had to get an official report on that's why it was broken. I'm like here's a photo look it's shattered :)
It's to try stop fraudulent claims and thereby trying to keep the premiums as low as possible.
Not that effective though

Lupus

Honorary Master
It's to try stop fraudulent claims and thereby trying to keep the premiums as low as possible.
Not that effective though
Yeah I know :) just it's a shattered screen, sending it in for an assessment is a bit silly :). So I had to ship it off to the distributor who came back and said, it's a shattered screen advised to replace.

TRZ214

Almost the exact situation. Unfortunately, my TV got struck / surged on Saturday. It was connected to my 1080 via HDMI. TV is fried and my GPU is dead. Power LED is on, but no fan and LED logo. Luckily it seems to only be the GPU. Phoned Matrix yesterday morning to ask if they do assessments and the branch near me said its R250? Has anyone else had a surge go through HDMI?

Venomous

Honorary Master
I had similar schite and it was intermittent. First shop could not replicated the issue. Took it to another shop told them struck by lightning and I also gave them a list of components for a new pc I wanted a written quote on to submit to insurance. The prospect of a big sale got me the assessment letter & quote within a few minutes at no cost :laugh:

And its for that reason that I charge upfront for the assessment and then 3/4 of the assessment fee can be deducted on labour charged for labour when you buy the PC from me. While I don't charge labour to assemble I do charge to install and set up that which the client has from before.

And if the client then buys the PC elsewhere then they get no rebate.

That way I don't do work for free and the client has a choice on what/where they spend their money.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Almost the exact situation. Unfortunately, my TV got struck / surged on Saturday. It was connected to my 1080 via HDMI. TV is fried and my GPU is dead. Power LED is on, but no fan and LED logo. Luckily it seems to only be the GPU. Phoned Matrix yesterday morning to ask if they do assessments and the branch near me said its R250? Has anyone else had a surge go through HDMI?
HDMI still has copper inside and it was connected to a device where a definate surge occured therefore not impossible. Same for usb cables connected to a multi-purpose printer, especially if fax line is connected.

DTBA

Expert Member
HDMI still has copper inside and it was connected to a device where a definate surge occured therefore not impossible. Same for usb cables connected to a multi-purpose printer, especially if fax line is connected.
I also have had weird **** happen. Lightning hit our house. pc was unplugged but router was not.

Router dead.

Killed on pc motherboard and cpu.

Killed other pc onboard network.

and the 3rd pc was 100% fine

Stillie

Expert Member
I also have had weird **** happen. Lightning hit our house. pc was unplugged but router was not.

Router dead.

Killed on pc motherboard and cpu.

Killed other pc onboard network.

and the 3rd pc was 100% fine
when you unplugged, did you unplugged the pcs, did you unplug the network as well as the power?

Venomous

Honorary Master
sorry to hear! Use the loss as school fees
But even unplugged cables can be dangerous....
(or unplugged from 1 and not the other)

Gent(owner of a business) had been working late, so it's dark. He locked up. Walked to his car which was about 500m away.
Unlocked his car, then looked up, saw all the clouds in the very feint light. Turned around at the sametime the 1 lightning happened. Goes inside. He unplugged the main PC(small business so acts as server). So pull out electric cable, lan cable even the usb cable going to the multi-function printer. The usb cable was lying on the work surface, approx 5cm from the PC.
As he reaches for the printer's cables there is a loud bang and sparks flying from the printer.
The lightning had hit the roof corner. Travelled through electrics, up the unplugged usb. Melted the usb cable's plastic coating. Jumped accross and fried the PC's mainboard.

And it had all been repaired 2 weeks before coz he didn't unplug that time as he was new to joburg....

He didn't have insurance setup as he was still organizing all that when this happened.

SlowInternet

Executive Member
During December my bedroom tv went black after a lightning strike. The laptop of the missus was also plugged in at the bedroom busy charging. Laptop was dead. Lodged a claim with insurance (my first ever claim with them) They send 2 different companies to collect the tv and laptop to confirm the damage. They said they will replace the tv but not the laptop because I didn't specify the laptop on the policy. Also said they found old water damage on laptop although it was affected by the lightning. Still waiting for my replacement tv and they haven't even returned the damaged laptop.