Integrating .net frontend with Joomla backend

JJRM

Since I can't claim to be an expert, I'm hoping that you guys can give me some good advice on what I'm trying to do.

I've been developing a .net windows application (for internal company use) which integrates with the main application that we use for our business. I've been tasked with designing a website (in my personal capacity) which should really act as a "portal" for clients and internal staff alike..including functions like project management, time management and the ability to communicate with our clients on a project in a organized way...etc.

I've been looking at using Joomla for our site as I find it great and easy to use and I've found extensions that should fit the bill perfectly. Also it can be set up relatively quickly which helps me.

The question is, would I be able to integrate some functions, or sync some functions with my internal .net app? Or have you had any experience in accomplishing this?

Example: Lets say I wanted to write something, maybe some db records from my .net app directly to joomla, or in the other direction...from joomla to my internal .net app. Or maybe upload/download a list/report. Can it be done easily?

Nemeses

Yes and no.

Firstly, 'integrating' both sites will require you to merge PHP with ASP....

Secondly, if it is just wanting to edit the database, that can easily be done. Remember, the database is where you get all the info from to populate the pages etc, so that is a pretty powerful function.

But, this leads me to why you exactly you want to do this? Joomla! already has a pretty sick backend, so you are basically just re-inventing the wheel..

JJRM

Thanks Nemeses.

You basically answered my question. Accessing the Joomla db directly would solve my problem.

..."integrating"...probably the wrong word. I guess "syncing" pieces of data explains it a bit better. And its a .net windows app...no ASP... involved.

I want to do this because I want my .net app to read/write from a specific software package we use and read/write related data to joomla without someone having to manually input it using the web front-end (if that doesn't sound too confusing)

Thanks for the response

Nemeses

Thanks Nemeses.

You basically answered my question. Accessing the Joomla db directly would solve my problem.

..."integrating"...probably the wrong word. I guess "syncing" pieces of data explains it a bit better. And its a .net windows app...no ASP... involved.

I want to do this because I want my .net app to read/write from a specific software package we use and read/write related data to joomla without someone having to manually input it using the web front-end (if that doesn't sound too confusing)

Thanks for the response

Oh wow, I did not quite realise that you wanted a Windows app (Sorry, linear thinking is a downfall),
Whit this knowledge, I can see where you want to go now.

And yes, you can totally link to your site's database, and mould it to how ever you want using a windows application. All you need to do is get the DLL (If it is MySQL), or link it with a DataGridView (Binding it with your Database)

[[Above method might cause a lot of errors - Some coders will be thinking "WTF"]]

Anyway, I can code an app that will basically do what you want, and you can basically take it and finish it off.
Just give me your email, or I will upload it to a hosting site if you don't mind everyone having it.

JJRM

What might be a good idea is to refactor your Windows App into to a more 3-layer type architecture. Using something like MVC (or I find MVP-VM is good for Windows Apps) and WebServices.

Then you can use the same backend for both the Windows App (WinForms/WPF) and the Web App (WebForms/SilverLight) and just implementing different views for each.

I'm not so clued up on Web stuff so there might be a better alternative to WebForms.

2 birds, 1 stone.

Thanks dequadin. I'll have a look into that.

JJRM

Oh wow, I did not quite realise that you wanted a Windows app (Sorry, linear thinking is a downfall),
Whit this knowledge, I can see where you want to go now.

And yes, you can totally link to your site's database, and mould it to how ever you want using a windows application. All you need to do is get the DLL (If it is MySQL), or link it with a DataGridView (Binding it with your Database)

[[Above method might cause a lot of errors - Some coders will be thinking "WTF"]]

Anyway, I can code an app that will basically do what you want, and you can basically take it and finish it off.
Just give me your email, or I will upload it to a hosting site if you don't mind everyone having it.

Thanks Nemesis that would be great! Appreciate your help! I will send you a PM.

Nemeses

Some Screenshot Updates, can others give me a bit of a rating?

Folder Structure:
19outside.jpg

ConfigFile:
77configfile.jpg

Successful Open:
97successfullopen.jpg

Unsuccessful Open:
32unsuccessfullopen.jpg

Successfull Query:
27successfulquery.jpg

JJRM

Hi guys, just a word of thanks for your responses. I want to thank Nemeses in particular for his assistance with my query. He's gone out of his way to code something up for me. This is what I love about MyBB. Guys are just willing to help and go out of their way even for seemingly silly questions.

To all the guys like you out there, thanks very much for making this site as great as it is! It's a resource that I can't live without!

Nemeses

Hi guys, just a word of thanks for your responses. I want to thank Nemeses in particular for his assistance with my query. He's gone out of his way to code something up for me. This is what I love about MyBB. Guys are just willing to help and go out of their way even for seemingly silly questions.

To all the guys like you out there, thanks very much for making this site as great as it is! It's a resource that I can't live without!

+1