Intel launches delayed Xeon server chips

Chris

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator
Intel launches delayed Xeon server chips

Intel Corp., the world’s largest chipmaker, said it’s offering a revamped version of its Xeon range in time for what it sees as the “biggest build-out of technology infrastructure in human history.”

The company has struggled with updating its manufacturing – a key part of improving the ability of processors – and is now bringing a technology called 10 nanometer to server chips.

The new versions perform, on average, 46% better than their predecessors, Intel said Tuesday.

[Bloomberg]

Happy Days

Oh wow, bragging about using 10nm for their server chips when TSMC and Samsung are fabbing using 5nm.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Oh wow, bragging about using 10nm for their server chips when TSMC and Samsung are fabbing using 5nm.
When's the last time you saw a Samsung or TSMC chip in a server? But you do have a point when AMD has 7nm and has had them since 2019 for servers.

cguy

Executive Member
When's the last time you saw a Samsung or TSMC chip in a server? But you do have a point when AMD has 7nm and has had them since 2019 for servers.
Plenty of TSMC fabbed Nvidia chips in servers. If you’re talking just CPU, then sure.

JayM

Expert Member

Any AMD Zen 2 architecture CPU core is manufactured by TSMC, so technically loads of servers are shipping with "TSMC chips".

Lupus

Honorary Master
Incidentally, I'm logged into one right now:

View attachment 1048323
Yes, it was expensive.
I just finished getting one on to Redhat 7.9

AMD EPYC 7302P 16-Core Processor, also only got 256GB memory.

But it's only a single core, looking at getting a 2 processor version for more intense tasks. Really good for price to performance, think that 7302p was cheaper then an equivalent Bronze 4112 or something.

JayM

Expert Member
I just finished getting one on to Redhat 7.9

AMD EPYC 7302P 16-Core Processor, also only got 256GB memory.

But it's only a single core, looking at getting a 2 processor version for more intense tasks. Really good for price to performance, think that 7302p was cheaper then an equivalent Bronze 4112 or something.

The 7302P is probably the best bang for buck server CPU at the moment. The 7F72 model we have is insanely priced but pays for itself due to savings on software licensing costs.

Lupus

Honorary Master
The 7302P is probably the best bang for buck server CPU at the moment. The 7F72 model we have is insanely priced but pays for itself due to savings on software licensing costs.
What was the pricing on the 7F72? I was looking at using that for a DB server to save costs on cores.

JayM

Expert Member
What was the pricing on the 7F72? I was looking at using that for a DB server to save costs on cores.

Vendor didn't give a breakdown on individual components, but I see the list price is $2450 ea. I suspect street prices with the current silicon shortage are a bit higher than that though.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Vendor didn't give a breakdown on individual components, but I see the list price is $2450 ea. I suspect street prices with the current silicon shortage are a bit higher than that though.
Yeah, this is an issue I've got an upgrade coming soon due to the fact that my current kit are old E series V3 and 4s. I managed to get some 7302p throughout last year, but I need 10 more machines :-(

Sapphiron

Centadel
Company Rep
Looking at some of the reviews, these processors would have been competitive with AMD Epyc processors if they released as planned in 2019.

Now AMDs current series Epyc crushes it still with Zen4 planned for later this year or early next.

Nereus77

Intel is the discount option now....

Edit: Even more so in the Desktop space, I believe. RIP Rocket Lake