Inter-city trains in SA: Would you use them?

Would you make use of an inter-city train system in South Africa?

  • Yes

    Votes: 106 55.8%
  • No

    Votes: 67 35.3%
  • Other

    Votes: 17 8.9%

  • Total voters
    190
Isn't this what the Joburg-Pretoria line of the Gautrain is? Or are we going to be honest enough to call Pretoria what it is - a giant village?
 
I thought passenger rail was barely running after the lockdowns, with much infrastructure having been stolen. So is everything running on schedule again?

I don’t know for sure what is and isn’t running, but the entire statement/question seems very odd.

Trains are definitely running though, to what extent I can’t say for sure.

Not quite the same but my family took a train from Cape Town to Elgin for a day trip the other day so the infrastructure seems just fine on the mainlines.

****

Seems fine enough in Cape Town.


Fancy that, even live updates on Twitter.

 
The Gautrain has it's own infrastructure and is not intergrated with the rest of the rail network, I was talking about the general rail network.
How would anyone glean that from Martin-Numbnuts-GB's opening gambit?

BTW, the Metrorail and Gautrain stations in Rhodesfield are are in the same building making transfer from one to the other seemless. I think a similar platform is in play in PTA Central.
 
Last edited:
I don’t know for sure what is and isn’t running, but the entire statement/question seems very odd.

The middle classes forgot that we have an inter-city rail network several decades ago. They're about as aware of it as your average gardener is aware of the CPT-JHB flight schedule.

Next question: "would you make use of a privately-run intra-city minibus transport system that beats ordinary road traffic?"
 
I don’t know for sure what is and isn’t running, but the entire statement/question seems very odd.

Trains are definitely running though, to what extent I can’t say for sure.

Not quite the same but my family took a train from Cape Town to Elgin for a day trip the other day so the infrastructure seems just fine on the mainlines.

****

Seems fine enough in Cape Town.


Fancy that, even live updates on Twitter.

That is intra-city and not inter-city, distinct difference ;)
 
That is intra-city and not inter-city, distinct difference ;)
errr, the Cape Town metropole ends at Somerset-West, Elgin (well Grabouw really) is a town distinct and separate, part of the Theewaterskloof municipality

so no, a train ride from Cape Town to Elgin is between, not within, i.e. inter

note also the cttrains schedules show destinations like Paarl, Wellington, Worcester, Malmesbury
 
Last edited:
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X