Interdict sought against powership deal

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Interdict sought against powership deal

A losing bidder in a South African tender for the provision of 2,000 megawatts of power is seeking to interdict the winners from completing their agreements.

The application to South Africa’s High Court by DNG Energy Ltd. threatens to halt the provision of electricity needed to ease recurrent outages in Africa’s most industrialised economy and imperils investment estimated by the government at at least R45 billion ($3.3 billion).

The request for the interdict came in the form of an amendment to relief sought in an earlier application by DNG to have its losing bids substituted for those of Karpowership, a Turkish company that was awarded preferred bidder status for the provision of 1,220 megawatts of energy. DNG has also proposed that it could replace bidders other than Karpowership.

[Bloomberg]

chrisc

Executive Member
If the Independant Power Producers had been allowed to input their electricity to the grid and Eskom had not been so crook, none of this would be required

Someone wants his backhanders to continue, so stuff the country, I am more important

DNG is doing the right thing

mypetcow

If the Independant Power Producers had been allowed to input their electricity to the grid and Eskom had not been so crook, none of this would be required

Someone wants his backhanders to continue, so stuff the country, I am more important

DNG is doing the right thing
Would have, should have, could have. Heard it all before. Everyone always knows best after the fact and complaining and pointing fingers as what was done in the past sure makes for lively discussion.

neoprema

Executive Member
Nooo we need the Powerships! I thought they had set sail already :(
We're never getting out of load shedding :crying:

neoprema

Executive Member
If you think Powerships are going to end load-shedding, I've got a rock coal-mine to sell... /s
"Karpowership SA was selected to provide 1220MW of electricity intended to help alleviate load shedding"

Is better than nothing...

mypetcow

"Karpowership SA was selected to provide 1220MW of electricity intended to help alleviate load shedding"

This is the point. It’s 1220MW of additional grid capacity. It’s not the golden goose that will end load shedding but it’s a start.

Swa

Honorary Master
This is the point. It’s 1220MW of additional grid capacity. It’s not the golden goose that will end load shedding but it’s a start.
One can say the same about the 100MW self provision that's supposed to be signed into law. It's sad the public has been so conditioned to accept corruption that they'll go for another e-toll mess. You don't double down on stupidity just because you are suffering the consequences of other stupid decisions. The irony is that if DNG is correct they and others can do an even better job than this Kar company.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master

How do you get that from the coast to Gauteng when the grid was designed for diminishing power distribution from Mpumalanga to the coast? That's like plugging a huge generator into your kitchen socket at the coast to supply a factory in Gauteng.

mypetcow

How do you get that from the coast to Gauteng when the grid was designed for diminishing power distribution from Mpumalanga to the coast? That's like plugging a huge generator into your kitchen socket at the coast to supply a factory in Gauteng.
That’s not how it works. I think we even discussed this in a previous thread. The power of the power ships would be used locally first. Picture a pipe system. The water flows from the borehole to the nearest tap.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
That’s not how it works. I think we even discussed this in a previous thread. The power of the power ships would be used locally first. Picture a pipe system. The water flows from the borehole to the nearest tap.

It is how it works. That's how the distribution system is designed.

The biggest power users are in Gauteng. How would the power ships prevent load shedding there?

Your borehole analogy shows little knowledge of electrical and water distribution systems which have thick pipes going to thin pipes. How do you propose getting enough water into the thick pipes using your kitchen tap?

Reactions: Swa

mypetcow

It is how it works. That's how the distribution system is designed.

The biggest power users are in Gauteng. How would the power ships prevent load shedding there?

Your borehole analogy shows little knowledge of electrical and water distribution systems which have thick pipes going to thin pipes. How do you propose getting enough water into the thick pipes using your kitchen tap?
Mate I have a feeling you’re playing stubborn on purpose. ;)
Despite what you may think it’s not like there are no power users in the coastal regions. Also the plumbing analogy is quite accurate let me assure you. You see as with plumbing you can’t send power to a specific user just as much as Joburg water can’t send their water only to a specific user. Is flows out to the nearest user.

So how does this all help with the load shedding in Gauteng you ask?

If less power needs to flow from Mpumalanga where the power stations are to say Durban then there is more available to flow to Joburg which means less load shedding there too.

Also the power ships connect on something like 90kV to the grid which is a drop in the ocean in voltage even in the coastal regions. ;)

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Mate I have a feeling you’re playing stubborn on purpose. ;)
Despite what you may think it’s not like there are no power users in the coastal regions. Also the plumbing analogy is quite accurate let me assure you. You see as with plumbing you can’t send power to a specific user just as much as Joburg water can’t send their water only to a specific user. Is flows out to the nearest user.

So how does this all help with the load shedding in Gauteng you ask?

If less power needs to flow from Mpumalanga where the power stations are to say Durban then there is more available to flow to Joburg which means less load shedding there too.

Also the power ships connect on something like 90kV to the grid which is a drop in the ocean in voltage even in the coastal regions. ;)

Yoh. May I suggest an engineering degree to show how bad your comparisons are? And before you make ludicrous comments like this:

Also the power ships connect on something like 90kV to the grid which is a drop in the ocean in voltage even in the coastal regions.

It doesn't matter what voltage you connect to so long that it's the same in the circuit. Ever heard of transformers?

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Load shedding every day yet here we are actively trying to stop a partial solution to our problems. Good job DNG! Excuse the sarcasm.
I don't like dng's solution but this powership crap needs to be stopped and kicked to the curb. It's purely a vehicle to enrich a few people and buttfsck the country for 20 years with a shyte deal.

The 100mw exemption will do more in the short medium and long term to resolve load shedding and transform our grid away from the aging power stations we have.