Interesting Amazon experience...

igeorge

I recently bought a Oculus Quest 2 from Amazon after my Rift S's DP cable was damaged (another interesting story)

On receiving and opening the package, first thing I noticed was a post-it on the box saying 'defective - WiFi issues', and the box had clearly been opened before. Great!

Got hold of them via chat and they arranged to send a replacement. But the kicker is I need to return the original, and they'll refund me at some point.

Which didn't impress me at all. I don't understand why they couldn't collect the original using the same courier delivering the replacement? Additionally, I had to throw my toys to get them to send the replacement expedited rather than standard.

Then I got pricing via Postnet to return the unit via DHL - R5400! So I contacted Amazon, explained the situation via chat, and tried to get clarity re what to do. It was like pulling teeth - eventually got them to confirm they would refund postage up to $150. So it's off to the PO I suppose?

In the past I've found their CS ok, but this interaction left a bad taste. Anyone have similar experiences?

Cheers
Ian

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Sorry I got a bit stuck on DP.

But there is nothing new here, this is and always has been the Amazon model of operation.

More so when it’s been shipped internationally.

R13...

Honorary Master
Sorry I got a bit stuck on DP.

But there is nothing new here, this is and always has been the Amazon model of operation.

More so when it’s been shipped internationally.
They send shipping vouchers for returning their own products such as kindle. Otherwise yes you're screwed.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
I'm surprised they even pay for returns. Besides, did it come from Amazon or one of their resellers?

RedViking

Nord of the South
I always thought if it is via Amazon Global they sort everything out. But coming from 3rd party it is your problem.

Also, you need to use the "return" button on the item.

Makes one think twice before getting something that might need warranty support.

Anyways, it is possible I have the wrong end of the stick.

igeorge

I always thought if it is via Amazon Global they sort everything out. But coming from 3rd party it is your problem.

Also, you need to use the "return" button on the item.

Makes one think twice before getting something that might need warranty support.

Anyways, it is possible I have the wrong end of the stick.

That was my understanding - however not what happened.

airborne

Honorary Master
Op what is the weight and dimensions of the package that you need to return to Amazon, that DHL price sounds way out?

igeorge

The price was DHL via Postnet. We're in the platteland, so options are limited. The longest dimension is 41cm, so needs a DHL #6 box.

I'll just drop it off at the PO and send it via EMS. I don't usually use the PO, but hey?

lexor

Expert Member
Get a quote from Scott's Shipping: https://www.scottshipping.co.za/

Their refunds always come through, I've even gotten a refund of 2c for an order because they overestimated the tax.
Don't waste your time trying them.

I tried sending my Quest 2 back using Scottshipping due to the fact that they state " if the batteries are installed in a device we can move it no problem".

Low and behold the above statement seems false.

They were unable to assist me and claimed the statement is for local parcels only .

lexor

Expert Member
I recently bought a Oculus Quest 2 from Amazon after my Rift S's DP cable was damaged (another interesting story)

On receiving and opening the package, first thing I noticed was a post-it on the box saying 'defective - WiFi issues', and the box had clearly been opened before. Great!

Got hold of them via chat and they arranged to send a replacement. But the kicker is I need to return the original, and they'll refund me at some point.

Which didn't impress me at all. I don't understand why they couldn't collect the original using the same courier delivering the replacement? Additionally, I had to throw my toys to get them to send the replacement expedited rather than standard.

Then I got pricing via Postnet to return the unit via DHL - R5400! So I contacted Amazon, explained the situation via chat, and tried to get clarity re what to do. It was like pulling teeth - eventually got them to confirm they would refund postage up to $150. So it's off to the PO I suppose?

In the past I've found their CS ok, but this interaction left a bad taste. Anyone have similar experiences?

Cheers
Ian

@igeorge

I had a similar problem shipping my Quest 2 back to Amazon( my son wasn't happy with the unit).

Scotshipping was useless imo and the cheapest alternative I could find was DHL for R3000.

Amazon was only willing to give me $25 towards shipping !

I contacted Amazon and informed them about the R3000 shipping costs.
Amazon's reply was amazing.

They refunded me the full amount and told me ,that because I'm a loyal customer, I can keep/donate my Quest 2.

igeorge

That's encouraging...
As a matter of interest, how did you contact them? I was only able to get contact via chat...

airborne

Honorary Master
The price was DHL via Postnet. We're in the platteland, so options are limited. The longest dimension is 41cm, so needs a DHL #6 box.

I'll just drop it off at the PO and send it via EMS. I don't usually use the PO, but hey?
EMS outgoing is normally fine, takes a week or 2 to arrive the other side.

quovadis

Executive Member
Just ship it back international parcel via the PO and ensure you take pics of the package and the receipt/reference. The replacement will be sent regardless of when the returned item arrives. They will refund you up to their maximum.