Internet browsing on Telkom ADSL not working when "check for proxy automatically" is enabled

Zeus07

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2009
Messages
105
Strange problem here. Was wondering if anyone would know why it's like this:

Recently every computer in the town where I live(don't know if the issue is more widespread), when on a Telkom ADSL line (and regardless of who the ISP is), won't browse the internet until the "automatically check for proxy settings" setting is disabled. I've seen this on numerous computers, including every brand new installation. It was never like this before.

Just interested in what could be causing this.
 

eddief1

Expert Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2008
Messages
1,193
Strange problem here. Was wondering if anyone would know why it's like this:

Recently every computer in the town where I live(don't know if the issue is more widespread), when on a Telkom ADSL line (and regardless of who the ISP is), won't browse the internet until the "automatically check for proxy settings" setting is disabled. I've seen this on numerous computers, including every brand new installation. It was never like this before.

Just interested in what could be causing this.

Are these perhaps d-link routers ?
 

Grouter

Expert Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2007
Messages
4,691
I have been toggling that setting to "OFF" in Windows for years.
It's many, many computers, and not restricted to D-Link routers. Particularly windows 10.
No idea why, just turning off fixes it. windows-could-not-automatically-detect-networks-proxy-settings-network-2.png
 

Zeus07

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2009
Messages
105
Are these perhaps d-link routers ?
No. Doesn't matter what the router is. Seen this a dozen times now on my own which isn't D-Link.
I have been toggling that setting to "OFF" in Windows for years.
It's many, many computers, and not restricted to D-Link routers. Particularly windows 10.
No idea why, just turning off fixes it.
Same here, except having it on in the past meant that Google Chrome would have about a 3 - 5 second pause before loading a page(on opening up Chrome). For that reason I also turned it off on new setups.
Now there's zero browsing unless it's turned off.
Maybe it's some new Windows bug.
 

TempestX

New Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2018
Messages
8
Your post piqued my interest since I had a similar issue that I only resolved recently.

In my case, it seemed to be linked to the following security issue:

https://www.securityweek.com/wpad-name-collision-flaw-allows-mitm-attacks
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/740178/was-my-router-compromised-wpad-attack/

Like the poster in the second link, I too have a Netgear D1500 router and like @eddief1 mentioned, it was pointing to wpad.domain.name.
https://who.is/whois-ip/ip-address/185.38.111.1

My solution was to update my router firmware and then factory reset the router. In addition to this, I blocked the IP address in my hosts file for added piece of mind.

I hope this helps.
 

eddief1

Expert Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2008
Messages
1,193
Your post piqued my interest since I had a similar issue that I only resolved recently.

In my case, it seemed to be linked to the following security issue:

https://www.securityweek.com/wpad-name-collision-flaw-allows-mitm-attacks
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/740178/was-my-router-compromised-wpad-attack/

Like the poster in the second link, I too have a Netgear D1500 router and like @eddief1 mentioned, it was pointing to wpad.domain.name.
https://who.is/whois-ip/ip-address/185.38.111.1

My solution was to update my router firmware and then factory reset the router. In addition to this, I blocked the IP address in my hosts file for added piece of mind.

I hope this helps.
Yep, scary.

Must be 1000's of routers out there doing this

http://wpad.domain.name/wpad.dat
 
Last edited:

Corelli

Expert Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
1,646
Strange problem here. Was wondering if anyone would know why it's like this:

Recently every computer in the town where I live(don't know if the issue is more widespread), when on a Telkom ADSL line (and regardless of who the ISP is), won't browse the internet until the "automatically check for proxy settings" setting is disabled. I've seen this on numerous computers, including every brand new installation. It was never like this before.

Just interested in what could be causing this.
Do you have an old Dlink 2740 or 2750 modem? Had the same problem with my parents. Changes to a later modem and it worked.

On the older, reset it, worked 5 minutes then gone.

Only email worked and you could browse wifi via cellphones but laptops was a no go. Just kept saying No Internet.
 

Zeus07

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2009
Messages
105
It could be related to WPAD (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Proxy_Auto-Discovery_Protocol)

It is something I raised in April and think I even emailed MyBB about it.


Could the above be what you are experiencing ? If so all those users traffic was/is trying to be proxied
That is very interesting. I think you're probably right. Will test out and see if it's due to the default domain name that is set on the router.
 

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Joined
Aug 4, 2005
Messages
20,346
I have also for years set that setting to off. I can't even remember why anymore.
 

Corelli

Expert Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
1,646
If you check on Gumtree or FB Marketplace you get the Dlink Fibre Modems. Standing upright with 2x Antennas. That supports both Fibre and DSL. Bit tricky to setup but you will get the idea.

We got him one of those for R250 still boxed and works fine now.
 

Corelli

Expert Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
1,646
He was running Windows 8 and we thought some virus as all the phones could browse, but when we checked my mom's windows 10 laptop same thing. So well got another router and the old one now in a box in the cupboard.
 
Top