Internet Explorer 9 ready for public debut

alloytoo

Honorary Master
They're still developing IE?

and in more exciting news, I wonder what's being planned for Opera 11.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Lol. Vista doesn't even count anymore...
Prayers has been answered! :)

That was just bad reporting. It'll work on anything from Vista upwards.

With all the laughing at it not working on XP, I wonder if FF4 will run on 10 year old linux distros?

Love it or hate it, IE will be relevant so long as Windows is so widespread. I for one hope that IE9 is awesome, cos it'll make my job as an onlne services developer/provider a lot easier!

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Wunderbar! I don't need to worry about wasting time downloading this one then :)

Your still using that old toss, you do know that HDD manufactures have already started shipping drives with the new Architecture and as of Q1 2011 they will no longer be older architecture drives, and XP does not support the newer drives and never will.

McGuywer

Executive Member

With all the laughing at it not working on XP, I wonder if FF4 will run on 10 year old linux distros?

Love it or hate it, IE will be relevant so long as Windows is so widespread. I for one hope that IE9 is awesome, cos it'll make my job as an onlne services developer/provider a lot easier!

You think?

RaptorSA

Expert Member

AMEN!!!! In fact, I secretly hope IE somehow manages to kick the pants off the competition when it comes to performance.

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
its the web developers I feel sorry for...

Last edited:

Durandal

Expert Member
So was it bad reporting or not?! Will it work with XP? I'm using the current version of IE at the moment and have been waiting for ages for an update to come along because my current version is so full of bugs. Seems pretty stupid for them to release an update that only works on Windows 7.... But then this is MS we're talking about, so...

elvis_presley

Expert Member
So was it bad reporting or not?! Will it work with XP? I'm using the current version of IE at the moment and have been waiting for ages for an update to come along because my current version is so full of bugs. Seems pretty stupid for them to release an update that only works on Windows 7.... But then this is MS we're talking about, so...

The article said it'll work with Win7 only, but that was wrong, it'll work with anything from Vista onwards (win2k8 server, win7, etc...)

They're dropping XP support, which is awesome. MS don't let go of old architectures soon enough. The 10-year support cycle might get a lot of love from corporates, but sometimes it's really frustrating in that it makes the cool new stuff take longer to get here.

Seriously man, it's time to retire XP. Put it out in the trash with all your vinyl and casette tapes!

Keeper

Honorary Master
They should spend the time working on Internet Explorer, on their Windows 7 Start Menu instead - having 100 apps in a tiny list sucks.

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
OOoooooh its available now!
/has a screaming fit like an Oprah audience member.... NOT

I pity the fools who use this....

fskmh

Expert Member
They should spend the time working on Internet Explorer, on their Windows 7 Start Menu instead - having 100 apps in a tiny list sucks.

Yeah, that thing is a pain in the butt. Give this a try, it gives you the old XP-style menu back:

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/index.html

What is Classic Shell?
Classic Shell is a collection of features that were available in older versions of Windows but are removed from Vista and Windows 7. It has a classic start menu for Windows 7, it adds a toolbar for Windows Explorer and supports a variety of smaller features.

It's < 5MB BTW.

Durandal

Expert Member
The article said it'll work with Win7 only, but that was wrong, it'll work with anything from Vista onwards (win2k8 server, win7, etc...)

They're dropping XP support, which is awesome. MS don't let go of old architectures soon enough. The 10-year support cycle might get a lot of love from corporates, but sometimes it's really frustrating in that it makes the cool new stuff take longer to get here.

Seriously man, it's time to retire XP. Put it out in the trash with all your vinyl and casette tapes!

I honestly wouldn't mind doing so - have to convince the boss, though...